enough power?

Associate
Just finished building my new rig but having some problems. Its all fine until i try to run a game then it just falls over and reboots.

The system is.

3x Maxtor 6L300S0 DiamondMax 10 300GB 7200RPM SATA/150 16MB Cache
1 x Connect3d ATI Radeon X1900 512Mb Crossfire master card edition
1 x Connect3d ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512Mb DVI + DVI + VIVO PCI-E
1 x MSI RD480 Neo2-FI SKT939 2xPCI-E Crossfire support DDR400 8channel audio LAN ATX
1 x AMD Athlon 64 XP3000 (my 4800 didnt turn up today)
2 X 1GB Paired PC3200 Ram (in duel channel config)

580w PSU

I have set it up in crossfire mode (just enabled via the ATi software?) and everything seems to be running fine apart from games. Did have the cpu overclocked to 1900 but put that back to normal and it still falls over. Im thinking that maybe its just not enough power.

The PSU says it has X2 12 volt rails one at 20amp one at 18amp but the manual doesnt decribe if one of the sockets is the 2nd 12v rail or not (its a moduler deal where you plug your cables into the psu).

(just found link to it: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Hiper.html )

Is it what i think it is or is it something else? How much power do you think i need for this system (im now thinking a 700w the Sparkle FX700-GLN maybe)?

I Both video cards have their own cable with nothing coming off it to leech power that way. Im going to try unplugging the DVD and 1 of the harddrives to see if that helps.

If all else fails would it be safe to use a second psu just to power the video cards? (have it outside of the case conected to both of them?) just until i get another psu?

Edit: just read in another post that someone had problems running a crossfire setup with a 600w supply and it worked with a 700w supply so i think this is the same problem. Wouldnt mind some confirmation though and a suggestion for a good PSU. :)

Edit 2: just tried putting the cards back to single cards and removed the slave card and it run amazingly, for about 20 seconds, then fell over again.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cpu is running at between 32-35C, System temp around 30-33C so overheating isnt a problem. The ram is ok because i put it in another PC overnight under full load and didnt have any problems, its getting 2.6 volts.

Have tried removing the 1 spare harddrive but the other 2 are in Raid0 so have to keep them both in.

Im a bit concerned because i thought a 580w PSU would be able to at least be able to cope with one card in there. I have been told that the 1900xtx is very power hungry though.

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot for the advice. Is it right though that a 580w PSU can power even 1 card though??

The other thing i just noticed is that when i set up my raid0 i only put it on 16k striping. Would this cause it to crash when under load? (going to go and try a CPU/Memory/Hardrive stress test as i may have been short sighted in thinking it was just a video problem) going to ghost over everything to some spare drives and redo the raid to 64K strip size.

Any other suggestions on things to check?

Associate
OP
I rebuilt the raid with 64k and reinstalled and same problem, flashed the Bios and made sure all my drivers where upto date. Stress test was fine, system is completely stable until i use 3d graphics. Just hope that it is just a greedy card and that a better PSU will fix it :)

Associate
OP
Thanks, I just wanted reasurance that it really was likely to be the PSU.

The psu is a hiper http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Hiper.html

Will wait until the Epsilon comes and see what happens form there (unless i can find a semi decent psu in the piles of spares i have sitting around). I think that the PSU just cant supply enough when everything is under high load (38Amp isnt that much, especially with 3 SATA hdd's).

Back
Top Bottom