Essential Mac Apps - Mac App Store Now Open...

No. iPhone is ARM cpu with iOS and the mac is intel x86 with OSX. The instruction sets and the linked operating systems are different.

Having used MindNode (and paying for it previously) it's available for free through the store. An excellent application.

True but given the power of an Intel C2D/Q/i5/i7 over a relatively puny mobile ARM chip I was hoping for some kinda of emulation, instead of having to purchase all of the apps again.

Associate
I've only just realised the ramifications of the store's rules for browsers.

Apps may not use update mechanisms outside of the App Store

Apps that download or install additional code or resources to add functionality or change their primary purpose will be rejected

Excludes every browser out there including (if my reading of that second quote excludes extensions) Safari.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Is that for the full version?

Yes, full version of Aperture 3 £44.99. Using it now.
Made my day as I was debating buying it to compliment Lightroom as I prefer it in some areas.
Not sure I wanted to pay £100+ though for the features so that is a good deal.

Probably version 4 just about to launch!

Commissario
I can't see myself browsing the store just looking for stuff to download but if I'm looking for software for a specific purpose then it'll be one of the places I search.

Soldato
Yes, full version of Aperture 3 £44.99. Using it now.
Made my day as I was debating buying it to compliment Lightroom as I prefer it in some areas.
Not sure I wanted to pay £100+ though for the features so that is a good deal.

Probably version 4 just about to launch!

Indeed, I'm pretty tempted as I quite like iPhoto and Aperture is supposed to be a good step up.

How long has Aperture 3 been out and if they do announce Aperture 4 next week, is there a reduced price for people who already Aperture 3?

Soldato
How long has Aperture 3 been out and if they do announce Aperture 4 next week, is there a reduced price for people who already Aperture 3?
Aperture 3 is approaching a year old (early February) and I think it's safe to say that the recent price drop is indicative of the new version being prepped for release.

There is an upgrade path from Aperture 2 to Aperture 3 for a reduced price, which if memory serves was somewhere in the region of half the RRP of the full version, so you can bet your bottom dollar that the same will be true for Aperture 4.

But without knowing the full ins and outs of the T&Cs for the App Store, it's hard to say if you'll be forced to buy the App Store version again in order to upgrade and whether this will be a higher price at release.

It's doubtful that would be the case, but then again you never can quite tell with Apple.

Soldato
Ok, I caved..

I've been looking for a decent diagramming tool for years. I've used visio on windows for years at work and tried omni professional in the past - it was great but it's visio compatibility sucked monkey nuts. At that point visio compatibility was a must.

For home I've tried many vector applications such as Vectordesigner for example which is really fast, stable and nice to use but all it does is provide the functionality of the Apple vector operations in the Quartz framework and hasn't moved on to add additional functionality in the last year. This is a common theme unfortunately for many applications.

Now all I need is a home diagramming tool.. so I bought Omnigraffle (non-professional) to plug the gap.

Soldato
True but given the power of an Intel C2D/Q/i5/i7 over a relatively puny mobile ARM chip I was hoping for some kinda of emulation, instead of having to purchase all of the apps again.

Even the iOS SDK phone 'emulator' doesn't actually emulate it. It links against a set of Intel libraries rather than using the full iOS operating system.

Additionally there's a difficulty with human interaction I know from developing for the iPhone and OSX. When you use the touch screen and get feed back graphics under your fingers on the phone.. something works but attempting the same on an OSX desktop fails miserably. (ignoring the technical differences)

Associate
Well, must say I'm quite impressed with the Mac App store. I'm pleased that I was able to upgrade just iPhoto for £8.99 as I was struggling to justify spending £45.00 for the upgrade when I only really use iPhoto.

Tonight I've also downloaded; Caffeine, MindNode, Stuffit Expander and TextWrangler for free also :)

Soldato
Excludes every browser out there including (if my reading of that second quote excludes extensions) Safari.

No - it means updates to store provided apps are provided by updating the app in the store.

The second quote is there to prevent apps from downloading spamware or other stuff after passing the apple store inspection. Yes it prevents the developer from adding an in-app store linked to their own site via an update.

Basically from a technical perspective it makes sense to maintain the integrity of the system (and your experience)... it also just so happens to ensure that apple safeguards it's revenue stream cut of 30%. Hmm I wonder if that was a coincidence ;) :D

Soldato
MindNode is excellent for putting together ideas.

For example my use for it is in holding all the plot, character and other brainstorming ideas for my book. There's an iOS version and you can sync your mind maps between them.

Soldato
Aperture 3 is approaching a year old (early February) and I think it's safe to say that the recent price drop is indicative of the new version being prepped for release.

There is an upgrade path from Aperture 2 to Aperture 3 for a reduced price, which if memory serves was somewhere in the region of half the RRP of the full version, so you can bet your bottom dollar that the same will be true for Aperture 4.

But without knowing the full ins and outs of the T&Cs for the App Store, it's hard to say if you'll be forced to buy the App Store version again in order to upgrade and whether this will be a higher price at release.

It's doubtful that would be the case, but then again you never can quite tell with Apple.
Cheers, I'll try and check the T&C's but if it's anything like T&C's for iTunes then I could be in for a bit of a long read! Still for £45 it's still good value and I don't really mind if I don't have the latest and greatest version of everything...

Soldato
Despite being a Lightroom user, I've got a certain affection for Aperture 3 and it does everything you could realistically want from it and plenty more that you'll discover in the coming months.

There's always the 30-day trial to play with (bottom right on here) if you're not absolutely convinced it's £45 well spent.

Back
Top Bottom