ETA on Xbox Elite & console advice?

Soldato
Hi guys,

I don't usually venture here often mainly because I'm a die hard PC gamer, I've had a DS lite PS2 but that's about. As of recent the Xbox 360 is becoming so much more appealing. After looking over at the Forza 2 thread I'm actually far too tempted :(

Is there an ETA on the Elite version? Also from my understanding it's just the colour, 120GB drive and HDMI input. Is that correct? How about internally, regarding cooling and so on? The 3 years additional warranty has just made it very tempting.

Now I game on the PC a lot so I'm not sure what my stance would be on the X360? I bought a DS lite and played for a few weeks and never played it much again.

How's is the online gaming aspect?

I've got 37" Toshiba 37WLT66 that is gathering dust.

I'd appreciate any advice as i'm sure a lot of PC gamers have been in this position :)

Caporegime
I've heard that it's possibly the end of August for the Elite, as for what it contains you are spot on, the innards are also identical to the Premium and like you say, with 3 years warrants you have nothing to lose.

I wouldn't say I was a 'die-hard' PC gamer as I have always had all the consoles and games are my business, but I was an avid PC gamer. That actually stopped on December 2nd 2005. I've hardly touched PC gaming since because I have better games, better experiences, better online play and more comfort playing my Xbox360 (amongst other consoles).

Online leaves the PC standing, Live is something the PC really could do with and Shadowrun and Halo 2 are a step in the right direction for how they go about this.

As for your TV, I use the 32" version of the same set and it's fantastic through component.

Soldato
Well, I was like you, an avid PC gamer for years, and i done nothing but slate consoles and say ill never own one after my PS2 which was just an expensive DVD player really. Last december i looked at a PC upgrade and it was going to be arou £800 so i thought id give a 360 a go as i had little to lose and ive never looked back since, not touched the PC for gaming really since December last year apart from the odd blast on live for speed.

Gears of War is brilliant, ive clocked it 3 times now and want to do it again, it really is a lot more fun than counter strike. Test Drive Unlimited is a darling of a game, and is such good fun to do, whether it be just to cruise with mates or do the races.

Forza 2, what can i say, its a spot on game, i loved it when i got it, but it does get repeptitive due to a lack of tracks IMO. If your buying a console for Forza 2 you wont be disappointed, i bought my 360 for test drive and its probably one of the best games ive played. The darkness is relly good fun to play too. Honestly mate, buy a 360 and you jsut wont have time for PC gaming, youll find yourself completing a game and then a new one will come out and youll buy that and do that until another arrives.

IF you want a 360, then get one, you wont be disappointed. Xbox live is brilliant, although i do begrudge having to pay for it slightly as all it is is online gaming, but its easy to use, easy to set up and is a lot less hassle than pc gaming.

Associate
NokkonWud said:
I've heard that it's possibly the end of August for the Elite, as for what it contains you are spot on, the innards are also identical to the Premium and like you say, with 3 years warrants you have nothing to lose.

I wouldn't say I was a 'die-hard' PC gamer as I have always had all the consoles and games are my business, but I was an avid PC gamer. That actually stopped on December 2nd 2005. I've hardly touched PC gaming since because I have better games, better experiences, better online play and more comfort playing my Xbox360 (amongst other consoles).

Online leaves the PC standing, Live is something the PC really could do with and Shadowrun and Halo 2 are a step in the right direction for how they go about this.

As for your TV, I use the 32" version of the same set and it's fantastic through component.

Yep, can only agree with what has been said above. I was a die hard pc gamer but just find that I really don't have time to find myself wondering why the 100th update dont work. With the console its pop the disk sit back and enjoy. Not to mention the ton of games that are released and with MS now upgrading the warranty, its a no-brainer mate. Do it!

Soldato
I played Cod 2 at clan level, loved upgrading my pc, messing about with drivers etc getting the bets performance to play cod and counter strike online - got the 360 as i was spending too much, and all i can say is ive never looked back! I now dont run windows on my pc, just ubuntu linux, since i dont play pc games at all, its just used for msn, music and internet! its much cheaper when you get into consoles and leave pc gaming behind!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input guys!

It's interesting hearing from the CS guys as it's the most addictive FPS for me :(

Just a few more questions:

1) Why is the elite due for October over at Japan? Surely things are usually released there far earlier than they are here?

2) What's the estimated price on the elite? I've heard it'll be in the region of £280?

3) Would the HDMI on the elite carry the sound signal with it or could I add external sources i.e. surround sound?

4) I have a driving force pro wheel which I use for my pc, I don't suppose there's a possibility that I can use it via the USB ports on the X360?

5) Can the xbox run any uber applications such as linux, media centre or anything special?

I saw a video of Test Drive unlimited and omg, it sounds beyond sexual :eek:

Thank you for your time :)

Man of Honour
dark_shadow said:
1) Why is the elite due for October over at Japan? Surely things are usually released there far earlier than they are here?

2) What's the estimated price on the elite? I've heard it'll be in the region of £280?

3) Would the HDMI on the elite carry the sound signal with it or could I add external sources i.e. surround sound?

4) I have a driving force pro wheel which I use for my pc, I don't suppose there's a possibility that I can use it via the USB ports on the X360?

5) Can the xbox run any uber applications such as linux, media centre or anything special?
1- The 360 is unpopular in Japan, and most popular in the US so that affects launch dates.

2- iirc yes, around £280

3- It carries sound but you can use the bundled regular cable to output Red/White phone ore optical if you prefer (iirc)

4- no, official wheel only, but it's a great wheel!

5- 360 has MSN, is a windows media extension (can play audio and video from your PC)... they're the only 2 special features I use.

Hope that helps.

Soldato
1) It might be released here before or at the same time. august probably is a safe bet.

2) Not sure about the estimated price, might be worth looking at the 360 in america and just guessing, £280 sounds a little cheap to me though.

3) Not sure, sorry.

4) I doubt it, but again not 100 %

5) Uber applications, not sure if thats allowed to be talked about here, you can connect it to media centre on your pc and stream music and videos and stuff though.

If you get an xbox get live, you can try out demos and stuff, including Test Drive. I must ask though, is the elite necessary? You can get a premium for the price your estimating with a handful of games and extras if you shop around.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply guys :)

What is the size of an average demo?

slambo69 said:
I must ask though, is the elite necessary? You can get a premium for the price your estimating with a handful of games and extras if you shop around.
I want the elite because I'm re-decorating my room I'm going shiny black gadgets and the elite would look perfect, also seen as I'll be buying around that time for £50 more you get extras that justify the cost imo :) A popular e-shop based in HK has the premium avail on pre-order for £250.

I've also found X360 games to be affordable if you shop around, for example test drive at £16.99! :)

Man of Honour
dark_shadow said:
Thanks for the reply guys :)

What is the size of an average demo?

I want the elite because I'm re-decorating my room I'm going shiny black gadgets and the elite would look perfect, also seen as I'll be buying around that time for £50 more you get extras that justify the cost imo :) A popular e-shop based in HK has the premium avail on pre-order for £250.

I've also found X360 games to be affordable if you shop around, for example test drive at £16.99! :)
Demos range from 350-1100MB I think.

You could spray paint your white case for pennies.

Premiums are already available here for £250.

Soldato
Shiny black gadgets, sounds cool however I dont think the elite is shiny is it? Doesnt the white console go with pretty much anything?

Also, wouldnt spraying the case void the warranty?

Associate
I used to play CSS a lot for around 5 hours a day in a week day and 10 hours a day on the weekends. I upgraded my PC at Christmas, and then bought a 360 in March as all my mate's had them and played on live. And I have not really got into PC gaming since. So really I got a high end PC not being used for games :eek:. But yes, the 360 is great. I am a bit bored of it thought as I have no new games but I should have forza and a lot other games soon.

Soldato
OP
Kreeeee said:
Demos range from 350-1100MB I think.

You could spray paint your white case for pennies.

Premiums are already available here for £250.
Sorry I mean elite! Elite avail for pre-order at £250. Premium can be had for £230 and £280 with 2 games.

Would spraying the case void warranty?

Soldato
dark_shadow said:
Sorry I mean elite! Elite avail for pre-order at £250. Premium can be had for £230 and £280 with 2 games.

Would spraying the case void warranty?

Their is a security/tamperproof sticker holding the two case halves together (top/bottom), to properly spray the case, you'd have to remove the case, and this would mean breaking the sticker and voiding the warranty unfortunately..

After a recent thread, I'm thinking of re-casing my 360 into a nice slimline HTPC case to fit in better with my other AV equipment, and so I'll have to void the warranty to do this, but I am not that bothered, if it breaks, a core can be picked up cheaply to replace anything that breaks..

As for the Elite, I am hoping that we get the new 65nm CPU/GPU parts which means less heat/noise and hopefully increased reliability.. if this is the case I may get a second one as I do have to cart my 360 between rooms quite often..

Last edited:
Soldato
dark_shadow said:
Thanks for the input guys!

It's interesting hearing from the CS guys as it's the most addictive FPS for me :(

I used to play CS mate for a very long time 5-6 years, and was completely addicted to it. Played in a lot of good clans against some of the best. I did start to get tired of CS a bit before i got my 360 but now that is all i play. Never used to venture onto live but lately ive been playing a lot of Rainbow 6 Vegas. If you like CS then i recommend you get it as it is one of the best on the 360 , better than Gears of war imo. The intergration of live is really really good , being able to invite friends and such no longer having to read ips over vent or msn. Sounds like your pretty tempted and as said above its a lot cheaper then upgrading your pc all the time. But then CS doesnt need a power house to play :)

Soldato
Same scenario as many others here.

I was a mad PC gamers who was well into CS, playing online in clans etc etc. Soon got tired of spending stupid amounts of money upgrading my PC, even got myself into debt because of this.

Grabbed myself a 360 and havn't touched a PC for gaming since. I have even sold my PC and now use the GF's laptop for internet etc.

I'm so into console gaming now I shall soon be getting a PS3. Also have the 360 steering wheel on its way :)

Back
Top Bottom