Ethernet Retaining Clips / Inserts (?)

Associate
Hi,
I've run ethernet cable around my house (cat 6, shielded) but it's so thick it's making punching them into facias a nightmare. When I push them back the tension in the cable caused the cables to come out the socket. The cable tie just doesn't hold it.

I'm looking to also add these but just can't find them sold separately. Anyone have any ideas ?
s-l500.jpg

Thanks,
Bradley

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply. I used a multitool to cut a larger hole because I knew the cable would be an option. As you can see when I push it back the brown and brown/white came out. Which is why I'm trying to find the retaining clips online.
20210516-132317.jpg

Don
Get different modules

CCS (Connectix) are very nice to work with. The zip tie point is in a better position.

Also, is that external grade cable?

If retrofitting cables to a house, I'd always go with Cat5e and non shielded. So much easier to work with.

The image you've shown in the first post is of a keystone jack, they go at the patch panel end (if using keystone)

Associate
OP
Unfortunately these modules come from the brand of facias (plug sockets etc) so I do need to work with this.

Yup, good stop, it's cat6 outdoor cable. I've run it through the house and am also a bit stuck with it, but yes, it's very work to hard with!

In the first picture I was just after the caps not the patch itself. Just seems if I could get a cap which fitted then it would stop them coming out when I move the cable back.

Don
Typically, any brand module will fit into the faceplate, just may get a slight colour mismatch.

I'd prefer good working modules over looks.

That cap is 100% only for keystone jacks.

Tested about 15-20 different modules in work, the only ones I'd use are..

CCS, Excel, Fusion. In that order.

Soldato
I've seen the plastic covers probably about 5 years ago on Excel modules... may have been HT... However I haven't seen them in a long time.

Please measure your aperture in the faceplate in mm and post here. (W x H)

Caporegime
The problem is really that you're negating the point of the shielding at best, and at worse you're installing a giant antenna alongside your data cabling to pick up interference with.

At this point I would fit keystone Cat6A outlets such as the Excel 100-181 - instructions for fitting can be seen here https://media.excel-networking.com/downloads/EXCEL/100-181 termination instructions.pdf

And then use a angled keystone adaptor such as 100-020-BK to get them to work with your plates - angled but poking out the front slightly because of the depth you need for the bend radius.

Those Scolmore modules look very poor for the ~£7 each they want for them - if you can return them that would be the best approach.

Depending on the construction of your external cable (e.g. whether it's a tough sheath over a normal PVC jacket similar to indoor cable), I'd remove ~100mm of the outdoor jacket to reduce the stress on the terminations and make it easier to work with.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We buy from distribution so I can't help there.

Anywhere that sells Excel stuff can get the full range though, so maybe phone a couple of places and see if they can order the bits in for you. A lot of them will just ship direct from the distributor so it's not any extra effort for them.

Associate
OP
Hi, just wanted to say thank you for the advice. The keystone jacks were the best way out of this - I hadn't used them before but they are great, don't think I'll ever use a traditional face plate again.

Bradley

rsz-20210523-091457.jpg

Back
Top Bottom