Euphoria - HBO, Sky Atlantic

Soldato
really .. watched 20minutes of it .. cut in the same mold as American Pie type movies .. it's just an american view on ~20 somethings - not a patch on something like skins

Soldato
3 episodes in - it's really quite good, but a bit depressing. I can only watch one episode at a time :p

I wonder, though, am I really dense because it was only in Ep3 that I realised (not sure if a spoiler.....):
Jules is a trans woman.
I just hadn't picked up on it until they said it out loud. I wonder if I missed it in some of the text message exchanges earlier through a mixture of sometimes watching with subtitles (that unhelpfully block the onscreen text messages), and my wifi bridge seemingly dying and causing stuff to play at really low res, on and off, so I can't really read them anyway.

Edit:
Edited because I totally ****** up that spoiler (it was missing)

Last edited:
Soldato
if I missed it in some of the text message exchanges
good point - I don't know - but didn't read them either
(rant) tv programmes that have plot lines communicated with texts are annoying .. I am usually, not watching with that degree of attention,
whose going to see that, too, watching on a mobile phone :
programmes that overlay the text on the screen/5thwall are better - recent stylish film about uber driver manipulating passengers to kill did that .. can't remember its name
edit: ride - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6237268/

Soldato
good point - I don't know - but didn't read them either
(rant) tv programmes that have plot lines communicated with texts are annoying .. I am usually, not watching with that degree of attention,
whose going to see that, too, watching on a mobile phone :
programmes that overlay the text on the screen/5thwall are better - recent stylish film about uber driver manipulating passengers to kill did that .. can't remember its name
To be fair, euphoria does mostly have an onscreen text for the messages - just the closed caps block it if you're using them!

Yes, i'd say at least slightly dense :p
:o
When did we find out? And when did the other characters realise? That jock dude - did he know straight away? Is that why he was such a dick immediately?

Soldato
OP
To be fair, euphoria does mostly have an onscreen text for the messages - just the closed caps block it if you're using them!

:o
When did we find out? And when did the other characters realise? That jock dude - did he know straight away? Is that why he was such a dick immediately?

It helped that I knew who Hunter Schafer was to be fair, and you know, jaw lines and what not and also the motel scene with poppers. I believe you see her *cough* package.. quite swiftly too :p

Soldato
OP
I just assumed it was an anal sex thing in that instance :D

I'd never heard of the actor. Once I realised it in the show, I assumed it was a woman playing trans. It was another discovery that she was trans too :D

Believe it or not, this is actually her first acting role... which is pretty impressive. She's a model, primarily.

Soldato
In the trans respect - reminds me of Chloe Savigny in hit'n'miss - great music ... that, was good, on nowtv.

The euphoria drug scene - hommage to trainspotting a bit naff but I guess the audience haven't necessarily seen that.

Soldato
... we need some reference points for what folks thought it was good or bad in respect to ?
for me much lower quality than skins or the inbetweeners (I'd watch a repeat of those over this)
hypothesis ... mainly because its for the american market ... netflix (as you've probably read?) profile their market and write dramas to that usa teen/YA demographic ... (lol was it called sex education) ... so the characters and their behaviour are alien ... so you have to put it in the same gendre as something like GOT. ..

Back
Top Bottom