Europes Christmas Markets

Soldato
Howdy

Looking to go away for 3 nights in December for our 1st Anniversary between the 20th and 23rd December. We went to Bruges for our honeymoon and loved it so looking for a city break weekend.

I initially had thought about either of the following

Sofia
Tallinn
Cologne
Vienna
Budapest
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Nuremburg
Riga
Helsinki
Berlin
Geneva
Prague

Budget is big enough to cover most places in Europe and stay in a pretty decent hotel, although I’ll look into hotels more when I’ve found a place.

My thoughts so far:-

Riga, Sofia and Tallinn are ruled out because of pretty silly travel times due to no direct flights from the North West. Nuremburg and Vienna also don’t have direct flights which puts me off a little for such a short time away, especially with the time of year and I’m cautious about delays making us miss connections etc.

Helsinki looks great but the longest trip out of the lot and likely to be cold as balls compared to other places I think.

Budapest – My mum and sister are going there's this December also so I feel that makes it feel a little less special for us, which is probably silly because it looks great and gives me most things I want.

Prague – Slightly put off as the wife went with her Ex. I want this to be about us and as above it's probably a silly mental reason to rule it out. Maybe for something non anniversary related!

I’m guessing that a lot of you will have been to some of the above places and have lots of suggestions and pro’s and cons to each as well as other places I’ve not considered.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys i think i want small feeling pretty towns to walk around in which is putting me off Berlin and Munich. Part of the reason we loved Bruges.

Will look at Hamburg though and Salszberg are both looking very good at the moment for what i want.

Morgoth - I think the Xmas markets are a very small part of it. Only reason i mentioned it is that they usually go hand in hand with fairy lights which tends to make everything look lovely in winter time. I think in Bruges we spend very little time at the actual markets prefering local bars/cafes to eat and drink.

Back
Top Bottom