EV charger.

Soldato
Hi all, I'm having a garage conversion done at the moment and have some first fix electrics taking place next week alongside a new fuse board. I may plan to get a electric car at some stage and was wondering if it would be worth getting the electrician to run the cable before everything is made pretty again. If so, any ideas what cable type is needed and the process etc. Would probably go for a Zappi charger if I do.

Thanks a lot.

Soldato
OP
Has your garage got a big enough supply?

EV chargers are 32A/7.4kw so you need a least that much headroom plus your normal garage load.

You’d also want to route a least 1 CAT5e/CAT6 back to your main incoming fuse. This is for a CT clamp which is used for grid monitoring and solar integration.

You can get a 6mm cabals with an integrated CAT5e but it’s more expensive than running the 2 cables.

Also consider if you have WiFi reception where you want to place an EV charger, if not consider running a cable for Ethernet to hardwire the internet to the charger or a WiFi access point nearby for additional coverage.

Yeah, that side will be fine. It's been converted into an office but supply wise won't be an issue and a new fuse board is going in as well. Prefer the one cable and to try keep the look minimalist.

Wifi will be fine as the router is only a couple of meters from where it will be placed.

Back
Top Bottom