EV charger

Associate
Considering options for the location of the EV charger. My preference would be to have the charger somewhere where it's not exposed/visible. The garage has this board. Could the charger be installed there?

PXL-20240818-071558428.jpg

The main fuse in the property is 100A. I am sure the cable meets standards if I were to use it with the granny charger for the other car but would prefer to have the main one out of sight and somewhere where is it protected from rain/sun/snow/frost.

Looks like the fast charger will be outdoors then and the granny lead will use a new plug in the garage.

Last edited:
You need 6mm cable from the original consumer unit. And you will need a 32a RCBO.
I've had a look at the main consumer unit and for the garage it has a 16A breaker and 2.5mm2 live and 1.5mm2 CPC?. The cable that I can see entering the garage has 600-1000v marking (trying to get a better picture of the other marking).

Last edited:
The consumer unit in the garage does not have space for another circuit. One breaker is for the lighting and the other for a mains plug. Might be easier to just remove the lighting circuit and upgrade braker and cabling.

Can I have the wiring for the new socket added to the same breaker as the existing sockets? I don't think I will be using the other socket while having the granny charger plugged in, but there is a freezer connected 24/7. If it pulls 2-3A would it be ok?

Back
Top Bottom