Evans Halshaw

Soldato
anyone here bought a used car from them ?
what are they like if anything goes wrong with the car etc?
just looking through their website(s) and the prices are very reasonable, the idea of going to a garage to look at xx number of cars sounds better than trawling through private ads to me....

Man of Honour
Hugely variable - how can they be anything but given the sheer volume of different branches all of which will have different management?

Caporegime
In my experience - a bunch of cow boys.

My local Vauxhaller Dealer is run by Evans Halshaw has a monkey for a service manager. They undertook warranty work which they messed up. I returned to have the problem put right again.

Service manager then realises that the work can't be charged to vauxhall because its not warranty work. Its mistake fixing which will have to come out of their money. He decides instead of them paying for it, he's going to make me pay for it.

When i refuse and say i'm going to vauxhall, they do the work anyway, and then hold me to ransom for the keys unless i pay the bill.

I complained to vauxhall, my complaint was upheld and i won. But they still run the vauxhall dealership, despite Vauxhall having received numerous complaints about them over the years apparently.

Only way to find out, would be to go visit an owners forum of whatever car you're interested in, and find somebody local who uses the dealership you're thinking of using and ask for everybody's experience with them.

As fox says there are such variations its impossible to make a blanket statement like "evans halshaw are bad / good"

Soldato
I bought my A8 from them about a year ago and they were fine.

Just to throw in the mix :)

Had a few issues with the A8 that they sorted for me.

Soldato
I Got my Used car from there 4 months ago now, only ever problem was that after a few weeks i found that one of the goodyear tyres had a bubble on the sidewall, i called them up, they said to just bring it up the next day and they will do a "like for like" swap of the tyre while i wait. (without even seeing it :o)

So i found my local dealship quite good from my experience.

Soldato
i used to work for ford a few years back and used to deal with the various dealerships around the UK

have to say EH are one of the better ones out there and i would have to say probably the best of the "big"ones. although i havent dealt with them in nearly 6 years so a lot could have changed since then

Soldato
In my experience, good, i bought my Audi from them, along with the 2 year warranty for £200 (iirc). The car itself was very well priced, £10991 for an A3 sportback with most options ticked. The warranty was comprehensive and it proved useful. Firstly, the wiring loom leading to the coil packs burned, and although it stated in the warranty that wiring was not covered, they still covered it, a £500 job inc replacing the offending coilpack, along with 3 spare coilpacks - which i still have boxed in my garage. Some time after, with about 3 months left of the warranty, my DSG box was playing up, sticking in 3rd gear, which is a common fault on the DSG boxes, took it in, it was a sensor fault, was replaced again under warranty.

Long story short, i'd buy another car from them, the customer services i dealt with went out of their way to help me when i needed it, even getting me a courtesy car - which they didn't have to.

Associate
About 3 years ago i was looking at a vxr vectra and they wouldnt haggle on the asking price. I accepted the fact and moved onto talking finance. The car was 12k and at the time i had 6k so i said 50percent deposit and i think they quoted me 38percent intrest rate. At the time i sucked it up coz i liked the car. Went for a test drive and the car had been ragged to hell and didnt feel right. Im so glad i walked away. Oh they did offer me a free piece of toilet paper with a 3 month warrenty written onit No wear and tear cover obviously

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Surely 3 years ago all Vectra VXR were covered by factory warranty, therefore they wouldnt have offered you a 3 month warranty at all. And 38% finance?

Did this really happen or did you make it up for effect in this thread?

Associate
[TW]Fox;18992953 said:
Surely 3 years ago all Vectra VXR were covered by factory warranty, therefore they wouldnt have offered you a 3 month warranty at all. And 38% finance?

Did this really happen or did you make it up for effect in this thread?

BOOOOM!!!

Soldato
I work for Evans Halshaw but a commercial dealership. We for about 6/7 months had a runabouts part at our dealership (runabouts being the cars) The only thing i found is they bought in a lot of crap cars or palmed the crap cars on to us. We had many people come back which isnt a good thing but, I can say we put everything that was wrong right without any questions. Cant speak for all other ones but our customers would have been happy.

Soldato
Thought this name rang a bell and then I realised they do all the servicing on our fleet cars.

Can't help on the purchasing front though!

Back
Top Bottom