Ever declined a good job?

Caporegime
It's a natural course of action particularly as you get older. Early on when you have no responsibilities such as a mortgage, kids, care of people or property, you have more flexibility to take risks, travel and spread your wings.

I'd argue it's not about turning the opportunity down, it's moreso how you do it and how you conduct yourself. For instance, applying and going through the process when you have little to no intention of seeing it through, is a lot different from getting increased exposure what the job role actually entails along the process and realising it's a bad fit.

For me it's opposite.

When I was younger I needed the job I was applying for. So never turned down a job.

Now I'm at Work level where I can say no to offers.
When getting the job I'm at now I had an offer from a company before, I wanted to string it out to past the point I knew I did/didn't have an offer for the company I'm at now.

Time ran out. But they were quibbling over the wage I asked for. It was only 2k..which raise issue of trusting "but you'll get pay rises later".

I think i blew the recruiters mind (and his commission lol) when I said "no". He definitely thought the pressure would make me commit.
It was a hard choice but I had the confidence to say no vs join then leave a week later.

It was the right call.

If that had been pre coivd... I'd never have done that. It's only because I have a financial buffer, more experience and confidence that I turned it down.

Associate
Been offered a good job but for numerous reasons I am going to decline but feel like such a fraud by saying no. Various personal reasons, none of them to do with the job. If it had came along 3 years ago, would have snatched their hands off but was not to be.

I turned down a few jobs. A few times they didn't even know what to say back. During one interview, the manager said something that annoyed me. I told him thanks but I feel this company does align with my personal values.
Guy was left speechless, I guess he was never put in that position. Once I started to walk away he started to swear, I looked and just laugh.

If it doesn't feel right don't take it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom