Ever-expanding blog/image pages

This has been a trend over the last 12 months. When viewing search results, instead of it being paginated, it's a single page that gets longer as you scroll down. Some dynamic language, not HTML. Since the length of the page is proportional to the RAM usage, it soon causes my commit charge to exceed 1.3GB. While it's a quicker way to view results on my 4GB desktop, it cripples my 1GB laptop, the HD activity light constantly being lit due to page file.

Best example at the moment is the Google image search, which I can enable for the desktop and disable for the laptop ("switch to basic image search"), but I'm seeing it increasingly used on other sites too like Wordpress and Smugmug and I can't find a way to toggle it to paginated.

Which programming language is it that facilitates ever-expanding pages? Granted I like it on the desktop, just want to give my laptop a breather as the old way is obviously better for that. The reason being is that I'm not always on a high-spec machine and would like to have the choice if possible.

Back
Top Bottom