1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everything You need to Know AMD & NVIDIA

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by smogsy, Apr 20, 2014.

1. smogsy

Sgarrista

fixed performance issues on opening post, by using Spolier so flash does not preload :)

2. Martini1991

Caporegime

Bridgeless 7970? Or XDMA?
    I want to see how a 7970 bridgeless copes PCI-E 3.0, because if it's fine, well, that'd be something.

3. LtMatt

Caporegime

290 crossfire.

4. smogsy

Sgarrista

updated with shadowplay

5. Silent_Scone

Capodecina

I used 5870s bridgeless. It's definitely not a new feature :D

Some very useful information for new comers, great work OP

6. smogsy

Sgarrista

stickie :D

also having trouble finding out good information for nvidia surround, i know what it is but not much concrete information on it as of yet

7. smogsy

Sgarrista

updated with 2 more section now to read the reply and go through more stuff

8. smogsy

Sgarrista

not sure What to add about OpenCL as mentioned in here,

its done by both NV/AMD working on HSA then cuda i guess

9. ~Mike~

Sgarrista

Nice idea Smogsy. :)

10. smogsy

Sgarrista

how about now :p:D

11. tayto_0

Hitman

Great work smogsy. Don't want to nitpick or anything but AMD's Gaming Evolved Logo would suit the AMD section better :cool:

12. smogsy

Sgarrista

could not find one that had a transparent background :(

added in links to the Overclockers pages

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  13. AshenEdge

Hitman

Well presented and very informative thanks for taking the time to do this Smogsy:cool: Nvidia tech seems to be swaying me as I really want to go 3D this year. G-sync also sounds interesting but I must confess everytime I read that phrase I picture someone twanging a G-string on a monitor:o:D not sure what that says about my current state of mind:confused::p

14. smogsy

Sgarrista

done the workstation cards today and new pictures :)

not what to do next.

15. bru

Soldato

Maybe add links to the driver threads for each company?

16. smogsy

Sgarrista

next things to add:

are they any AMD equivalents for below?

NVIDIA GPUDirect™
    NVIDIA GPUDirect™ technology enables faster communication between the GPU and other devices on the PCIe bus by removing unnecessary overhead on the CPU. GPUDirect v1.0 allows 3rd party device drivers (e.g. for InfiniBand adaptors) to communicate directly with the CUDA driver, eliminating the overhead of copying data around on the CPU. GPUDirect v2.0 enables peer-to-peer (P2P) communication between GPUs in the same system, avoiding additional CPU overhead. More…

Maximus
    NVIDIA Maximus-powered workstations combine the visualization and interactive design capability of NVIDIA Quadro GPUs and the high-performance computing power of NVIDIA Tesla GPUs into a single workstation. Tesla companion processors automatically perform the heavy lifting of photorealistic rendering or engineering simulation computation. This frees up CPU resources for the work they are best suited for – I/O, running the operating system and multi-tasking – and also allows the Quadro GPU to be dedicated to powering rich, full-performance, interactive design. More…

Hybrid SLI
    Hybrid SLI technology, based on NVIDIA's industry-leading SLI technology, delivers multi-GPU benefits when an NVIDIA motherboard GPU is combined with an NVIDIA discrete GPU.

Optimus Technology
    NVIDA® Optimus™ technology automatically optimizes your battery life for longer enjoyment while maintaining the outstanding graphics performance you expect from NVIDIA.

PowerMizer
    An advanced hardware and software technology specifically designed to extend the battery life of notebook PCs. PowerMizer allows users to adjust their system performance and battery consumption to their specific needs with easy-to-use power management tools.

PureVideo
    NVIDIA PureVideo™ technology is a combination of the GeForce 6, 7 and 8 Series GPUs’ high-definition video processor and NVIDIA video decode software that delivers unprecedented picture clarity, smooth video, accurate color, and precise image scaling for all video content on any display.

17. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

I suppose the nearest thing to the hybrid SLI would be AMD APUs being able to Crossfire with DDR3 AMD GPUs. Not the same but a cool little feature imo.

Is mining worth a mention?

18. PhysicsMan94

Wise Guy

You could add a section on Nvidia GeForce Game-Streaming, which is a feature where you can stream games from your GeForce GTX based PC to an Nvidia Shield within your home and (a recent addition) outside of your home at Wi-Fi hotspots.

Great work so far by the way Smogsy, an excellent guide for people looking to buy graphics cards and also for those just interested in the technological capabilities of their GPUs :)

19. smogsy

Sgarrista

will add mining & gamestreaming

is there a mining for each Brand or are they cross branding now? been long time since i looked

20. fiveub

Commissario

A great thread, good work smogsy. :)