EVGA 650 G2 - is it now obsolete? (one cpu cable only)

Associate
I've just ordered a 12700k, to mount on a z690 Tomahawk.

I'm not planning to do any overclocking at the moment (I never do much) but wondering if that second CPU power cable is essential for this to work?

The Supernova 650G2 has one connector for the CPU:
CPU1: 1 x EPS/ATX12V 8-Pin + 8(4+4)-Pin

Should I use an alternative cable I could use?

And yes, I build a pc every 6 years - it's getting rusty here.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Unless you’re overclocking with Ln2, your unlikely to reach the limits of one CPU socket.

How old is your psu and do you have a 3080 or any RTX graphics card?

If it’s a fairly young psu and you don’t have an RTX, you should be absolutely fine.

Thanks for your reply.

When I disassembled my old system, I found out that the PSU actually has two connectors for the CPU, but they both come out of the same output on the PSU (so this might be some sort of 'splitter'.

The PSU isn't too young: 6 years 1 month. I have a rtx2080 super. Doesn't look like I'm fine!

Thank you all for your help.

Anyone knows whether that extra PCU connector can be used? This in bold: 8-Pin + 8(4+4)-Pin

The D and Squares don't seem to match but they do fit without any problem.

What does it say on the plug? the google images for your psu only show a single atx 8 pin labelled cpu1, and two pcie 8 pin labelled vga1&2, dont plug one of the vga cables to your cpu they are not wired the same it could damage your board.

On the PSU there is only one CPU outlet but the cable that goes with it (labelled CPU) does split into two connectors: one with 8 pins and one with 4+4 making 8 pins. Both ends are labelled CPU. My only hesitation is that the second cable, even though it fits into the motherboard perfectly, has some D shape pins where the motherboard has square shaped pins.

Thanks for your help.
In the end I bought a Corsair RM 2021. I just thought keeping a 6 year old PSU wasn't worth the risk. The Corsair is very quiet, it's a nice upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom