Expensive sunglasses - worth the extra cost?

Soldato
Been looking at buying a decent set of sunglasses (Most likely Ray Ban's) mostly for driving however are they worth the premium?

I've had cheapo knock offs in the past and they really only last a couple of weeks. I'm led to believe that more expensive sunglasses have better UV protection too so less eye strain in the sunlight, is this true?

Thanks

Soldato
They get lost and scratched just as easily. Your car windscreen is going to stop pretty much all UV light so that's not something you really need to worry about while driving, but even so i don't think there's much merit to the claim that they have better UV protection than anything other than bottom of the barrel chinese knock offs.

Soldato
Buy cheap buy twice.

The Raybans I bought in 2006 are still as new today, never get any eye strain for fatigue after wearing them unlike the cheapo ones I had before, which probably never gave me any real protection anyway.

Soldato
A cheap pair of sunglasses, provided they are properly UV rated are going to be just as good as a pair that are 5x the price. I'm not talking knock offs or something dubious... but say a pair of UV rated sunglasses for £10 from Boots, versus something over £100.

Just like everything in life, it comes down to whether you want to pay a premium for a certain brand or style.
Obviously more expensive sunglasses are going to have features like being optically correct, photochromatic, polarised, sports specific etc.

Caporegime
I have a pair of Polarized "New Wayfarers" and I don't have to squint in bright light like I had to with my cheaper pair of Bloc glasses. I don't think they're that expensive in the grand scheme of things anyway.

I've never lost a pair of glasses.

Soldato
I splashed out on a pair of classic Ray-Ban aviators a couple of years ago for £110 I think and they were a great buy. Their price means I look after them, unlike before where I used to lose cheap sunglasses constantly. They're also really light and sturdy and from some of the things I've done I'd expect them to be scratched but they're perfect still.

And like most things clothing related half of it is how they make you feel and they make me feel awesome :D.

Soldato
Depends how well you look after them, for me personally, sunglasses tend to get left in random places, lost, sat on, or otherwise abused.

Associate
An expensive pair from certain brands will always be better than cheap pairs. Some are obviously just expensive due to the logo on them, but apart from that it isn't just UV protection to factor in. The quality of the lens and how it is made will have a huge factor though in terms of straining of the eyes etc.

Caporegime
I hate plastic sunglasses, mine have you titanium frames
I paid a pretty penny for mine (200)
But they are worth it to me. I can wear them all day. So comfortable I often think I've lost them but I'm wearing them

Associate
The Plutonite lenses in my Oakley XXmetal Filter 100% of UVa, UVb, UVc and HEV blue light down to 400nm.

I bought these back in 1999 / 2000 no eye strain what so ever.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought some rayban 2140 wayfarers last year, and never looked back. Awesome sunnies. Really well built! So id say the extra cost is worth it :) they're black and azure blue.

Soldato
I go through a pair of £15 sunglasses every year- they get sat on, fall off the top of my head, thrown down the dashboard... The only time they have broken is when a lense fell out once, otherwise they just get damaged (scratched and bent) from wear and tear. I'm pretty sure expensive ones would get just as damaged.

Soldato
Personally, I would say that you should go to somewhere reputable, and try on various sunglasses until you find a pair that fit your eyes properly. Its not just about what looks cool, but what fits. I did this about 13 years ago or so, bought myself a decent pair of Gucci sunglasses, cost me a packet, but I got a pair that fit my eyes properly, I get barely any bleed around the edges and they feel really comfortable to wear.

Associate
The Plutonite lenses in my Oakley XXmetal Filter 100% of UVa, UVb, UVc and HEV blue light down to 400nm.

I bought these back in 1999 / 2000 no eye strain what so ever.

My £10 Fakeleys do the same. It's just a function of polycarbonate lenses. Oakley lenses are better optically though for biking I'd rather be able to replace them cheaply.

If you care to look they were properly tested on the single track world forum a couple of years ago for UV protection.

Soldato
Like jeans, spending money on quality sunglasses is always worth it in the long run.

I'm a big fan of both Arnette and Spy.

I've got a pair of Arnette I bought about 15 years ago and they are still going strong. The lenses are amazing.

Currently using some Spy Discord and Arnette Fire Drill.

I've also owned some Ray Ban Aviators and whilst they looked cool back when they looked cool, the lenses were not all that great.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thanks for the responses, seems like they could be worth the money. Going to a store to try some tomorrow :cool:

If you can find a factory outlet store then even better. I got both Oakley polarised sunglasses for less than £70 each and they're excellent for driving. I've had Ray Ban ones too (polarised) but I preferred the lenses on the Oakley more. Oakley lenses also have more technology built into them like anti misting, anti smudging, fewer bounced reflections on the inside, choice of tint and type and so on.

Back
Top Bottom