Expert advice needed

Associate
Hi All,

I've bought some new components to build a new PC for BF4. I felt that my current Q6600 was just not cutting it anymore in BF4, which is pretty much all I play. I bought the following:

Gigabyte UDH5 Z97 Motherboard
Intel i7-4790k
8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM (can't remember speed)
Corsair 750D Obsidian case
Corsair H110 cooler.

I intend to run my existing GTX580 1.5Gb to see how it goes, with a view to upgrading if it's still a little slow. I want to run on ultra at above 60fps (1080p) and have two friends with 2600k's, 8gb and gtx580s. One says it runs ultra no problem, the other says there's a little bit of slow down. So first question:

1. What should I upgrade my GTX580 to? Is a GTX970 a good choice? Would getting a second 580 be a good move (If I upgraded PSU too?)

Secondly, my PSU is a Zalman 600HP, which according to those PSU calculator sites, should be more than capable, but I'm wondering, due to it's age:

2. Should I upgrade my Zalman 600W PSU also? (regardless of graphics cards)

Thanks for your time guys.

Associate
OP
Cool, thanks. They both have identical cards, they're Gigabyte SOC's but not sure of the VRAM amount. Presume 1.5Gb for both, like mine. I can only presume one person's perception of "no problem" is another's perception of "a little slow".

So you don't recommend trying to source another GTX580? How does VRAM workout in a SLI scenario? is it all used?

Associate
OP
Ah, thank you both. OK, so that begs another question the, if I were to upgrade my GPU to a GTX970, would I need to upgrade my PSU then? or is a 970 less power hungry?

Back
Top Bottom