Expiry date - Inclusive or exclusive?

Soldato
I wouldn't be analysing it that much in the first place.

If it was food, I would smell it. If it smells ok, it probably is.
(Something doesn't go "bad" between 23.59 and 00.01 either).

If it is medicine I would make a judgement call on it, usually ending up in going with it.

Only exception is sun cream - That stuff is BAD if you use old stuff past it's shelf life.

Caporegime
inclusive

some will be morse explicit: "Best before end: DD/MM/YY" etc..

also "best before" is just advisory and you can run over whereas "use by" is not a good idea to exceed... (obviously they do allow for some margin of error)

Soldato
OP
I didn't want to taint opinion but I'm clearly not talking about consumables :p.

Basically I had a Wizzair discount membership thing from last year and the expiry was shown as 13/01. Just double checked prices after hearing from the group before booking tomorrow (today, technically) and it's already expired. In my mind that means it expired on 12/01. Don't know why they'd want to do people over like that since the number of people booking flights on the date of expiry would be low but still weird/annoying.

Man of Honour
Meat and some medicine I'd never personally go past the use by date, stuff like milk I'll go a day or two over if it seems OK, other stuff usually has a best before date anyhow.

As someone mentioned above never exceed use by on sun products - I'd even be wary close to its date as you can actually do more damage with expired sun lotion than going without it.

Soldato
Meat and some medicine I'd never personally go past the use by date, stuff like milk I'll go a day or two over if it seems OK, other stuff usually has a best before date anyhow.

As someone mentioned above never exceed use by on sun products - I'd even be wary close to its date as you can actually do more damage with expired sun lotion than going without it.
OP isn't talking about food expiry dates.

Caporegime
Give Wizzair a ring and complain. Usually the date of expiry is just that. You can use it on that date, but I guess that's just convention rather than any specific rule.

They may extend it to the end of the day listed if you give them a ring.

Soldato
You have no grounds for complaint as you have tried to book the tickets on the day the offer expired.

There's no ambiguity, it expired at 00:00 on 13.01.2018.

Edit: what is the wording on the terms regarding expiry?

Caporegime
It may well depend on the exact wording, but at the same time a company may well allow its use a day “after” expiry to keep a customer happy, especially something as ambiguous as that. Hence ring and complain.

If it really just says “expires on” then most people would logically assume it could be used on that day, like most other things.

Man of Honour
Most companies, advertising offers and even universities are terrible at this sort of thing.

Upon a ‘proper’ analysis, if something ‘expires on’, say, 1 January, the last valid day of the applicable period is (on proper construction) 31 December (because as soon as it hits 00:00 on 1 January, it has expired). In reality, most people and companies take this to mean the last day of the period is 1 January. You find the same sort of thing when something must be done ‘by 1 January’. Again, upon proper construction this means said thing must be done by 31 Dec. In both cases, by all means assume it’s 1 Jan at your own risk... just don’t get into a legal dispute over it :p

Edit - FYI this provoked furious discussion at work but the consensus was that I was wrong. Expiry on 1 Jan means the last day is 1 Jan... but it can be argued either way depending on specific circumstances.

And don’t get me started on said period running ‘from 1 January’... :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom