Explain to me the benefits of a smartwatch & recommend me one

Soldato
Im trying to work out if I would get much use out of a smartwatch.

I have taken up running again recently. I normally like to listen to a podcast whilst I run, which means I am carrying my relatively hefty Samsung Note, and I have been wondering if there might be a "smart" way of avoiding the need to carry a phone.

Smart watch features that appeal, in order of importance ( I dont know if they are all possible?)

- tell time
- play music/ podcasts
- take calls/ receive messages whilst out running
- health tracking/gps tracking - Despite enjoying running, this one is actually of limited appeal, as i am really not interested in what my heart rate is etc, but all the watches seem to offer this and I imagine I might give it a go.

Are there watches that can do the above?

Are there any features that i have not mentioned, which any of your really like?
(Note - I have not mentioned recieving notifications, becasue I think that would be an irritant for me, rather than a feature.)

Are there any watches that you would particularly recommend?

I have been thinking of getting a secondhand watch to dip my toe in and see if I actually get much use from a smartwatch.

Soldato
OP
I use my smart watch for:

• Alerting me if I’ve been sat down a while - handy as I otherwise find I can be sat down for a couple of hours without noticing
  • Important notifications without needing my phone on me
  • Health/fitness tracking
  • Source of music on outdoor runs
  • Siri - timers/sending a message to say ETA when driving and that sort of thing

I don’t use it for:

• taking calls if I don’t have my phone on me - I do do it, but it’s not why I got it, and I still only take it if it’s a family member
  • Notifications about everything - you’re otherwise constantly looking at your wrist, often when speaking to someone face to face which is a bad habit to get into
  • Sleep tracking - unimportant to me. I don’t want to stress/obsess about sleep

How do you make the phone filter out what is an important notification?

E.g. On WhatsApp I am part of groups about mma or beer drinking, which I wouldn't want to be disturbed by! But on the other hand whatsapp is my daughters primary method of contacting me, and I would like to always be available for that.

Back
Top Bottom