Explosion in Johannesburg CBD 19/7/2023

Associate
Haven't seen this posted anywhere.
What looks to be a sewer line explosion occurred under Bree street which is a pretty busy thoroughfare.
Last I heard there'd been one death and several injuries. Footage is just emerging now though there were several pics of the destruction flying around last night.

How does that even happen? I guess a buildup of gases?
Good question

I know there was a week long water outage in joburg, I'm guessing perhaps there was insufficient flow in the sewers to keep things running properly and there was a buildup of methane?

Or a natural gas leak somewhere into the system that got ignited and the overpressure wave did this...

Googling suggests a gas leak from a damaged pipe, caused by a part of the road collapsing. But who knows.
The piped gas provider says they've not detected any major leaks on their network - that's not to say it's not a small leak from their lines into a sewer or something. Their pipework runs in wayleaves which are under the kerbs, not under the main road carriageways.

How does that even happen?

It's what happens when you take a perfectly functional powerhouse of a country and hand it to the most corrupt people on the face of the earth, both morally and financially who then spend the next 30 years gutting every service and pillaging every resource to sell to the Chinese to line their own pockets. And then still blame the white man. lol.

There was a huge oil tanker explosion there last Christmas Eve as well which killed 41 people… some of the aftermath videos were beyond horrific.

That was 10 minutes away from my old house. It was LPG, not oil. Famous for being rather splodey.

My sister in law is moving to Germany soon, then all I've got left is my brother in law to get out of there and then we're done. That country's finished. Lovely to visit as a tourist but **** ever living there again.

It's what happens when you take a perfectly functional powerhouse of a country and hand it to the most corrupt people on the face of the earth, both morally and financially who then spend the next 30 years gutting every service and pillaging every resource to sell to the Chinese to line their own pockets. And then still blame the white man. lol.
It's such a shame what happened to South Africa. They really were the jewel in the crown of Africa at one point, and with the ending of apartheid they should have become a great country. But it wasn't to be :(

My sister in law is moving to Germany soon, then all I've got left is my brother in law to get out of there and then we're done. That country's finished. Lovely to visit as a tourist but **** ever living there again.
My son has a school rugby trip to Cape Town and Johannesburg next year. I'm starting to have second thoughts about letting him go. It seems a bit dangerous over there at the moment. The UK Foreign Office warnings are as long as my arm.

Last edited:
It's such a shame what happened to South Africa. They really were the jewel in the crown of Africa at one point, and with the ending of apartheid they should have become a great country. But it wasn't to be :(

Don't have this discussion with me after a few beers, I'll take you back in time and walk you through the whole process step by step to remove the apartheid nonsense and still maintain the country at a decent level.

Sadly they just binned everyone based on skin colour and therefore lost all the relevant knowledge and experience in every single field and replaced them with people who wouldn't know a harvester from a hoe.

My son has a school rugby trip to Cape Town and Johannesburg next year. I'm starting to have second thoughts about letting him go. It seems a bit dangerous over there at the moment. The UK Foreign Office warnings are as long as my arm.

Depends where he's going and how well organized it is. I was back there in December and had the holiday of a lifetime. The people were absolutely amazing, the locations were stunning, the value for money was incredible. As with all these places, if you avoid the dodgy areas you'll be fine. Those with money tend to take the law in to their own hands and keep the riffraff out so it's probably safer than London at night time.

If you've got some locations and activities he'll be doing let me know, I can comment on the areas I know of and put some feelers out for those I don't.

Don't have this discussion with me after a few beers, I'll take you back in time and walk you through the whole process step by step to remove the apartheid nonsense and still maintain the country at a decent level.

Sadly they just binned everyone based on skin colour and therefore lost all the relevant knowledge and experience in every single field and replaced them with people who wouldn't know a harvester from a hoe.

Bet they'd know where the nearest KFC is though right?

Last edited:
Depends where he's going and how well organized it is. I was back there in December and had the holiday of a lifetime. The people were absolutely amazing, the locations were stunning, the value for money was incredible. As with all these places, if you avoid the dodgy areas you'll be fine. Those with money tend to take the law in to their own hands and keep the riffraff out so it's probably safer than London at night time.

If you've got some locations and activities he'll be doing let me know, I can comment on the areas I know of and put some feelers out for those I don't.
Thanks. Will find out. Much appreciated.

Bet they'd know where the nearest KFC is though right?

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom