Extending a spur in the loft

Soldato
I recently put in a spur from an electrical socket in to the loft to power a small server and a couple of switches. Having run all the network cables to the loft I think it would be best if the equipment was located in a different area, maybe a couple of metres from the original location. Currently I have 2x double sockets connected to a 13a FCU as a spur from a double socket on the 1st floor bedroom.

Rather than moving everything and be left with holes (I also have loads of cable left over), could I cut in to the 2.5mm T&E where it enters the loft, install a junction box and run a new cable to the new location? I plan to mirror what I have on the other side with a double of double sockets after another FCU.

Soldato
on a side note is your roof insulated ?
because those loft temps in summer are a killer if not.

I could really do with relocating my server to the loft but pretty sure it won't cope with the heat in summer.

Soldato
OP
on a side note is your roof insulated ?
because those loft temps in summer are a killer if not.

I could really do with relocating my server to the loft but pretty sure it won't cope with the heat in summer.

Yes it is and I hadn't thought of that :D It's a low power Dell T20 which I put up there recently, I'll have to see how it goes. The noise could be a bit unbearable if the fans spin up at full speed too.

Associate
Off the top of my head, the short answer is no.

The regulations say that you can spur off a ring main only once per socket. You shouldn't really spur off a spur.

What you could do is come off the load side of the new fused spur and extend to your hearts content, but you will be limited to the rating of the 13amp fuse which is protecting the 2.5mm cable from over current.

Soldato
OP
I might do that and install the junction box after the FCU then just run another cable to the new location. Given where they are all of the sockets would never be in use at the same time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom