Extending Speaker Cable...

Associate
Hi all,

Purcahsed a cheap Creative 5.1 set the other day... only problem is that the cables for the rears aren't at all long enough and I dont want them on stands in the middle of my room. So my question is how would I go about extending the length of the cable? I really don't want to cut the cables up and/or extend them via soldering/lego-brick connectors if possible. Also, whats the maximum safe length of cable that I can go upto before noticing a loss in output? I don't want cables running across my floor and to have them in the optimum position it would require tracing around 15-18m of cable around my room (its a funny shape).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks and regards.

Soldato
The set connects with phono connectors right? Creative usually do. If so, you can buy a phono extension cable or a phono socket to socket adapter and a long interconnect to extend with (these are usually stereo, so you only require one). Search on an auction site for them (phono extension) :) . However, in all it may cost a few pounds, the cheapest way will be to break the cable and extand with cut cable, though I see you arn't keen on this idea. The 18m length should be ok :)

Associate
OP
Dr.EM said:
The set connects with phono connectors right? Creative usually do. If so, you can buy a phono extension cable or a phono socket to socket adapter and a long interconnect to extend with (these are usually stereo, so you only require one). Search on an auction site for them (phono extension) :) . However, in all it may cost a few pounds, the cheapest way will be to break the cable and extand with cut cable, though I see you arn't keen on this idea. The 18m length should be ok :)

Hrmm.. yes, they connect via phono. Thanks for the info.. I wonder, do electronic goods shops sell phono sockets that you can solder/make up with your own cable? That way I can cleanly extend the cable and have it the desired length. Also, will just general 2 core cable suffice? I mean, its not exactly Hi-Fi is it ;). The cable for the speakers is pretty thin so I'd assume so. If I can't make up my own phono connections and phono extensions are a bit pricy, I probably will resort to just cutting them :) I suppose theres no harm in it really.

Thanks and regards.

Soldato
Yep, electronics stores (theres only really one in the UK and it's a competitor) will sell phono connectors. 2 core cable is all you need yeah, probably best to go stranded rather than bell wire (solid core) though as bell wire breaks easily when bent. Shouldn't cost too much :)

Back
Top Bottom