1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External USB 2 drive for vid editing?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by ShortWarning, 19 May 2006.

1. ShortWarning

Mobster

Hi guys,

My 200gb internal sata drive is quickly getting filled up due to my vid editing.

I'm considering getting an external usb 2 HDD.
    My question is this.
    Is USB 2.0 data transfer fast enough for vid editing?

Thanks a lot.

2. tomos

Wise Guy

personally? no chance. if you have to have an external drive make it SATA or the minimum - firewire. usb2 is too slow IMO.

3. jimblowscash

Wise Guy

Usb is fine for dv editing but if your looking to do hd or compressed look to use fire wire 800 pci cards available, and lacie do a range for external hdd's with usb, fw 400 and 800 connections on for that very reason
    http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/

4. Retorted

Hitman

I've been using a Lacie 250gb firewire 400/800 for a couple years now for editing and i've had no problems whatsoever. Perfectly capable.

The main reason being is that I need to transport the footage to a number of different computers. However if you don't need to do this then it would be better to grab another internal.

5. Dutch Guy

Capodecina

Even though USB2.0 is the faster option Firewire is much better as it uses far less CPU time and can get better sustained transfer speeds.

But the best option would be a new internal SATA drive, is there a particular reason you do not want another internal drive?