External Wall Cupboard

Soldato
Hi folks,

Possibly over thinking this. I need to put a rail and some shelves in this cupboard. It was historically the hot water tank cupboard but now it's just got the pipework in.

The plan is to fit a door to the top, and a curtain to the bottom (no idea why this is just orders).

Can I get away with just putting full MDF sheets as shelves for the top? Or do I need air flow?

For boxing the pipework - do I need to that or can I leave? Thinking about dew points and wetness etc. especially because it's an outside wall and the rest of the room is insulated with 25mm PIR.

Thanks

1qsMh9q.jpeg

I would be inclined to kill two birds with one stone by boxing in the pipework with insulation (could use fluffy stuff rather than having to carve out foam). You could also put a vapour control layer on during that process for belt and braces on the moisture issue.

Hmm, I do have some leftover insulated plasterboard. I could carve out the pipework and sit it over the top snug. Not sure if I am overthinking it entirely now!

We have a similar cupboard. Would get mouldy in winter if you left the door shut. Fine if you left it open.

When we renovated the room I put IPB on the wall and I also changed the door to a Louvre door so it always has airflow even when closed.

Last edited:
I'll check out what offcuts of plasterboard I have, but I am certain I have enough. I would chop out the PIR so it sits over the pipes --- am I defeating the point or is that OK?

Front won't have a door anyway - just the top. I can put slats rather than full shelf if that helps air flow.

If louvre doors are a bit too medieval for you (I hate the things) then you can make something a bit more modern with perforated MDF sheet, a bit like radiator covers/screening. Ebay has loads of different designs and really inexpensive.

Chaps, about to bite the bullet on this today. I'm thinking I can carve out enough PIR on the IPB to box pipes in. Am I creating future issues tho? It'll mean the pipes are attached to a cold spot?

Back
Top Bottom