Extrasolar Planets, the search for another Earth

DCP

DCP

Associate
That's some real interesting stuff cheers Sir Ulli, but prehaps you could clear something up for me?

If this system is 56 light years away from earth doesn't that mean we are seeing the system from the past (due to how long it takes for light to travel) and seeing as sound is slower than light, if we do pickup a signal what is to say that whoever (or whatever) doesn't exist anymore??

Apologies if this question doesn't make sense, it did in my head!!!

Soldato
Originally posted by DCP
That's some real interesting stuff cheers Sir Ulli, but prehaps you could clear something up for me?

If this system is 56 light years away from earth doesn't that mean we are seeing the system from the past (due to how long it takes for light to travel) and seeing as sound is slower than light, if we do pickup a signal what is to say that whoever (or whatever) doesn't exist anymore??

Apologies if this question doesn't make sense, it did in my head!!!

I have often thought the very same thing...

Kinda makes contact seem quite futile. :(

Wonga

W

Wonga

Sound cannot travel through space. If we do recieve audio signals, they will be through radio waves, which are part of the electromagnetic spectrum, hence they will travel at the same speed as light.

Soldato
Originally posted by Wonga
Sound cannot travel through space. If we do recieve audio signals, they will be through radio waves, which are part of the electromagnetic spectrum, hence they will travel at the same speed as light.
yup - space is a vaccuum, no medium for the sound to travel thru.

you never heard the saying "in space no-one can hear you scream"?

they be using radio waves like used for communications - just hope they don't all watch channel 5 or else we'll never pick em up :p

Back
Top Bottom