eXtreme Air Cooling - Build Log + Overclocking

Soldato
Fan Video's Are:

Single: here

Two: here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ever wondered what you could do with really big 140mm fans? Well maybe it’s just me! But having seen that a load of cases these days are coming out with 140mm rather than 120mm fans I thought in my new build I would try and incorporate some 140mm goodness.

Now I have always been one to champion high end air cooling I don’t know what it is about it, certainly and especially in regards to my up coming build it’s not any cheaper than water cooling but just something about being able to turn your PC in to a jet fighter that really is appealing or as my girlfriend would say “turn those bloody fans down!”

So all these new cases with their 140mm “turbo” fans promote high airflow and superior cooling but if you really want to what sort of high power 140mm can you get? Well after much searching and about a week of e-mailing 100+ companies I found a supplier that can get me these FFB1424UHE (Below) in single units! Suffice to say their specification speaks for itself.

FFB1424UHE.jpg

So what’s the plan? Well I have various items on the way including four FFB1424UHE delta fans, a new 600watt 24v power supply for the above, and two custom built 24v, 8Amp PWM controllers that will take responsibility for taming two of the delta’s each, along with a load of other goodies, including a new P45 motherboard, case and various other things.. I hope that I can push my current Q6600 a little further than before and give those water cooling guys a run for their money…

So watch this space over the coming weeks!

Update 1: (24th June)
Well PSU for the Delta's arrived last night, just waiting for the fans now and i'll get a video up of one of them in action... Electronics for the PWM units should be waiting for me at home... got thursday/friday off work so hopefully can get started!

Update 2: (5th July)
Well everything has turned up apart from the fans... which are being made currently at Delta's factory in China... apparently they are not ones commonly used so having to get them made (just my luck)... anyways I am in the process of moving house so once we are in and sorted I'll get some pictures up of the hardware and what modifications are planned etc...

Update 3: (18th July)
Ok well tomorrow will be the first day of proper building (whilst I still wait for the damn fans)…

So what’s the plan:

Well firstly got myself a Thermaltake Xaser VI not everyone’s cup of tea I realise but there were a couple of reasons for the decision… firstly this is going to be quite an aggressive build so I thought that the styling of the case would suit it nicely… Secondly the case supports 140mm fans and more importantly top and bottom 140mm fans which will be required for the ducting system.

The case itself I am going to be doing some modifications to… firstly the colour scheme is going to be black & blue so all the red grills are going to be re-sprayed blue along with the inside of the case getting sprayed black… I also will be re-spraying the OCZ ram cooler I have brought along with some other odds and sods… Got a whole load of black braiding and nice dark blue primo coil stuff to liven it up a bit along with a load of switches and knobs etc… (can’t have to many of them!)... Pictures to follow!

The PWM control units are going to be mounted in the tray at the top of the case and the 24v power supply rather nicely will fit in a normal drive bay once I have modified a bay converter to take it. Pictures to follow!

The FFB1424UHE fans aren’t light 650g each and I didn’t fancy hanging two off of my Ultra – 120 so I am going to be ducting 4 of them in my cooling solution. Each side of the Ultra – 120 will have a ducting setup:

So From the bottom of the Case FFB1424UHE -> 140mm * 20mm shroud -> 140mm * 20mm Shroud -> FFB1424UHE -> 140 – 120mm convert -> Ducting -> 120mm Shroud that will sit on the heatsink and then the reverse up to the roof of the case should give me something that looks like this:

AirSetup.jpg

OMG Paint Nub I know!

Well I will get some pictures up of stuff as it develops hope this gives you a bit more of an idea about the build!

Update 4: (19th July)
The Build!

PSU:
Ok well the 24v PSU for the fans arrived a couple of weeks back and during the move I did get a chance to give it a paint job, my thinking was I am a total nub at spray painting so after some questions on the forums and reading a couple of guides I got stuck in... If it all went poo then atleast I could hide it away somewhere that wouldnt be seen!!...

Ok so after taking it apart and attacking it with some wet & dry I applied a couple of undercoats:
DSCF4135.jpg

The whole "theme" of the build is eXtreme Air so I had decided that I would have a Blue / Black colour scheme for the various things I would be putting into the case... The PSU being no different got a couple of coats of blue:

DSCF4138.jpg

I have to say that all this wet & dry and spraying is pretty relaxing!

So feeling chuffed with myself I decided that I would jazz it up a bit!

DSCF4145.jpg

After some stuff to make it nice and shinny (Have forgotten what its called!) and much polishing... I ended up with this:

DSCF4149.jpg

For my first ever attempt at spray painting I am pretty pleased with the result!

Case Modification:
So onto this morning and the first saturday I have had some free time in over two months... So it was time to get the cases out and get working... As I have said before the theme of the build is a blue / black scheme so the first thing to do is to strip the case down...

DSCF4155.jpg

As you can see the box had taken a real beating in transit but luckly it was packed really well and there was no damage to the case itself...

DSCF4157.jpg

I was quite suprised at the quality of the case, managed to strip the vast majority of it out before I had to start attacking the rivits..

DSCF4161.jpg

With the removal of a few rivits the case was down to the its frame...

DSCF4160.jpg

And I think I got my monies worth parts wise... an awful lot of stuff removed off the case!

Log continues further down... damn 10 image / post limit!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well will be interesting and gives me something to do.. I can't see it day to day being any louder than a normal setup... PWM control of the fans should mean I can run them near silent at low RPM and the custom PWM units give me control over the frequency of the sqaure wave which means I should be able to elimate any high pitch sounds at low RPM

Soldato
Im gonna funnel one of those into my intake!

Then watch all my components come flying out the back of my case lol

This is my mates set up as of friday night
3c4d0.jpg

The deep fan is a YSTech beast and the other is the standard Scythe fan chopped up to be a shroud, this knocked a big chunk off his temps, only trouble is at 12v its like a 747, at 7v its just about bearable.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
lol loving it! Will be impressed if it does give water a run for its money

Well my current Air Setup is sitting 4th for highest prime stable clock on the quadcore database... I know w3bbo hasnt updated it for a while :)

So really the question here is... is the heatsink itself at that sort of clock running at its maxium... i.e. is it transfering as much heat as it can.. if thats the case then I dont see the extra fan power giving much better temps.. If it isnt then well will be interesting

Soldato
OP
I'm interested in these custom PWM units. Any more information? Schematics please.:)

well the electronics side of things is where the father unit is stepping in :) I do believe they are based on some on similar PWM units controling 24v DC car radiator / large condenser fans.. i'll see if i can get something for you

Back
Top Bottom