Associate
So for the last 6 months after building my PC, I've been experiencing random shutdowns and reboots (with no BSOD) while at idle or opening programs. Never happens with gaming or stress test. Well, I just figured out the issue and it is extremely weird.

I noticed that I can replicate the shutdowns sometimes by opening the Oculus app. It doesn't shut down the PC every time, but sometimes it will. I noticed my PC (not the speakers, the actual inside of the PC) also makes a small but noticeable buzzing sound every time I open the Oculus app. Stay with me here, because it gets weirder.

I reset my BIOS to default settings, and it turns out, it only crashes and makes this sound when the core ratio setting is changed from "Auto" to anything else. Doesn't matter if I put it on 4.8GHz all core (which is what my CPU runs at stock). As long as that single setting is changed, it will crash eventually opening the app and makes a short buzzing sound every time that app is opened. I can have my RAM overclocked to the ceiling and it will be fine, but change that setting from Auto and all bets are off.

I have no idea what to do about this. I'm assuming it's the motherboard? I'm probably going to order a new one off of Amazon to test it. Do you guys think it could be the CPU? The system is rock solid stable at 4.9GHz and will run Prime95 for hours along with every other stress test, but when opening certain programs with that settings changed from auto, it's an instant reboot.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI MAG Tomahawk Z490
CPU: i9 10900K
RAM: 32GB @3900MHz
GPU: 2080ti EVGA FTW3 Ultra
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S

Back
Top Bottom