Eye tests

Soldato
Hi all

I have my 2 year eye test appointment on Saturday and i was thinking if my eyes have got worse but I can get around fine in my current glasses, do I really need to pay £500-ish for a new pair of glasses to see slightly better?
My prescription is -5 and -7 so new glasses are quite expensive and it just seems that opticians just herd you to the salesman after the testand pressure you into buying a new pair. Is it really necessary if for example my prescription changes by less than 1 diopter. Surely if it had changed by more than that I would be struggling generally i would think.

tldr: is it bad to wear glasses that are understrength?

Soldato
OP
Go to Specsavers, get an eye test for £20, which is often knocked off you if you buy glasses afterwards.

Then look at lenses and price, then decide.

It doesn't even need to be £150, I went for branded frames, I have FCUK frames...but you can get like £20 frames. It is so much cheaper, same product as Vision Express.

I go to an independant opticians, it is £50 for the test but they are very thorough so i don't mind paying that. If i can get the glasses cheaper elsewhere like specsavers though i will certainly look into that. Thanks for info, there must be a huge mark up if specsavers can do it for much less!

Soldato
OP
Thats why i wouldn't buy glasses online with a prescription like mine. The pupil distance is too important to get wrong but i really don't like paying out £500 for glasses especially if its only a small improvement in vision..

Soldato
OP
Just go the whole hog and get them lasered! It'll pay for itself in savings from glasses and the quality of life improvement is massive. For reference, I was -7.25 in both eyes and nearly 10 years on I'm 0/-0.25, pretty pleased for the £2k outlay. :)

I would never do that. Have read far too many horror stories about it. Some people are happy to take that risk but not me!

What do you mean improvement in quality of life? I can see fine in glasses, they aren't a big deal to me. Been wearing them since i was about 10(32 now).

Soldato
OP
Do your independents offer the OCT tomography scan for eye health inc glaucoma? I had this last time at Specsavers and it's well worth it.

If having laser eye surgery then there is only one sensible option being the London Vision Clinic. There is a reason it costs more.

I had a work colleague go elsewhere due to a cheap offer, had issues and ended up at the LVC for remedial and corrective treatment.

Happy enough in glasses, but yes I have heard good things about LVC.

Back
Top Bottom