F@H Cruncher Slug Out - Mk. II ** In Progress **

Man of Honour
Right, after the somewhat one-sided race between The Alabama Slamma and The Ohio Psycho, I decided I'd have a go.

So, my Mac Mini vs. any other single cruncher.

The rules are simple:

• The competition will run from 8PM BST Thursday 22nd June to 8PM BST Thursday 6th July. This has been timed to coincide with the news posts. Handy, huh?
  • You must register under a new account name for the contest (in Team 10, of course). The account name must start with the prefix 'CSO2_' (letters C, S, O, number 2, underscore). This is so that the accounts can be easily identified. You must add something of your own to the end of this. Be imaginative. :D
  • First WU to be downloaded on or after the start time - no starting early please.
  • Maximum of one motherboard, one or two cores (i.e. single dual core or dual single core are OK, but dual dual core is not), hyperthreading allowed regardless (counts as single core), with or without overclocking.
  • If you're already crunching under your 'main account', switch to deadlineless WUs before the contest so that you can suspend that work for the duration.
  • Final results will be determined from the stats available at Stanford at 8:30PM BST on Thursday 6th July, irrespective of whether or not any previous update has taken place.
  • The workunits crunched must be those generally available to all team members (i.e. no betas). Of course, you're free to select whatever client options (advmethods etc.) you want.
  • Discussion welcome, but organisers decision is final.
If you're in, post your temporary account name and system spec below. I'll start:

CSO2_Mini_Mayhem - Mac Mini 1.66GHz Core Duo - Windows (probably).

Caporegime
Hmm i may have a go at this too, if i get F@H installed in time, i'll use my dual xeon machine if i get the client sorted in time. :)

Associate
I'd love to join in with a machine but I'm just not home enough to make sure it's on for the whole week and I can't change the name to another account. I will still be comparing your outputs to one of my machines thats already on a seperate account and is always on :)

Interestingly Beserker you just beat me in the top dumpers this week by just 58 points >_< I really gotta get my computers turned on more :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Mattus said:
Are we allowed to fold beta WUs?
No - that would give a (potential) unfair advantage to those few who participate in the betas (of course it could also work against you if you get a bad bunch of WUs and they all EUE, but that's unlikely).

Soldato
right I'm up for some - I'll be keeping my main rig on beta work but I'll be knocking together a little something special before next Thursday

unsure of exact spec at the moment but It'll be SocketA based for sure as that's all I have other than the main rig - will have to get some slightly unconventional cooling on the go though I think, desk fan and some extractor fan ducting comes to mind :D

oh yes and the name....

... CSO2_newsmeister

:D

Caporegime
Is there any way i can set up the clients without starting straight away? As from the looks of it it will start as soon as i finish providing the info?

Also do i need to install 4 clients for my Dual xeon?

If theres one thing to be said about boinc is that its easier to set up! :p

Ill also be CSO2_B0rked if i can get it set up!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Use -configonly. If you're planning on running it as a service, either leave that until the last minute (easy), or go into services.msc afterwards and manually disable the service (harder).

PS - just to be fair if people get some big workunits, the time has been extended to 14 days. We'll get half-time scores that way too. :D

Back
Top Bottom