Fallout 4 Crashes To Desktop after Loading in?

Associate
Hey Folks so Basically Bought this game a While back but my PC wasn't powerful Enough to play it en till now :) Minus my GPU which will be upgraded in due course.

When ever i Load into the game the game will completely Freeze then shut down to the Desktop :(

Its just the base game i have with no DLC or Mods ive tried Verifying game cache and turning off Steam overlay but it stil happens can anyone help me please?

Suspended
Try starting a new game then loading your save once you're in the game world?

Or can you not even do that? May need different driver... I think I once had to run the game as admin to get around a loading error too and it was fine after that.

Suspended
So it's just loading to title screen then CTD? Or not even getting that far? Have you tried disabling Antivirus? Do you have GPU preference set to PCI in BIOS and onboard disabled or whatever the equivalent setting is?

You shouldn't need compatibility mode settings. Tried deleting all your user folder fallout.ini and fallout4prefs.ini files? Is your resolution set correctly in preferences?

I remember having several FO4 ballaches so feel your pain. The savegame one is one to remember though once you're finally up and running. Bethesda really need to kill off this game engine IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Think ive Figured it out when running at my Monitor's resolution 2560x1080 it would crash after 1 min of Gameplay my GPU is Throttling it is pegged at 100% most of the time have it running at 1920x1080 it atm doesn't use up all of my screen but its working at least.

Suspended
Think ive Figured it out when running at my Monitor's resolution 2560x1080 it would crash after 1 min of Gameplay my GPU is Throttling it is pegged at 100% most of the time have it running at 1920x1080 it atm doesn't use up all of my screen but its working at least.
That's odd as I remember there being a lot of issues with FO4 running at non-native resolutions but not the other way around. Not surprised it doesn't like a more exotic res and strained GPU though.

The issue with this game engine is that everything is internally timed and tied to your frame rate so if it's all over the place, the game can do very odd things (physics spazzing out is a good indication it's struggling).

Enjoy the game, whatever faction you choose. :)

Soldato
Just posting to say I had the same issue last night on my system @ 1080p. I played F4 heavily during launch and modded it slightly too.

Last night I got the itch after wading through all my old screenshots so I reinstalled, and uninstalled Nexus Mod Manager and removed its mods too. I also deleted my old saves and THEN launched F4. It starts up, shows a black screen and then returns to desktop. I couldn't work it out so I removed every trace of F4 this time (all the .ini's) and still the same thing.

Soldato
@Kainz - Tried the above? Disable AV etc..? Did you get all the inis? Game install folder and also in your profile folder?
Yup I definitely got all the ini's. I'm running Win7x64 with Security Essentials as my AV, which is the same OS I used back in the day to play the game. I think I've worked out what the issue is oddly - it's Steam constantly re-downloading my old gamesaves. Once I disabled Steam Cloud Sync in the F4 properties I managed to get into the main menu ok. I'm just setting up NMM with mods atm....this is where it all goes haywire :o

Soldato
On the bright side, at least the game uses 100% of your GPU, at 1080p it uses about 45% load on my 1070 and refuses to stay at 60fps everywhere but empty space between locations, blargh.

Soldato
On the bad side, it is using about 80% of my R9 290 except the animations are totally out of whack because my FPS can hit about 130 which makes the engine (including the ingame dog) spaz out :o

Oh, I've managed to successfully get in so let the Nexus pillaging begin :o

Soldato
lol, Skyrim was also similar. I'd heavily modded that to silly amounts back in the day but just uninstalled Fallout 4. I think I'll leave my good memories of it intact instead of getting dragged back into the 'modding rather than playing' thing again!

I gave that Mama Murphy a chair to sit in as it was a quest, and when she wandered over her sitting down animation went nuts and the few npcs that were in the area started shooting at her. At that point I realised perhaps its best to leave things behind lol.

Soldato
The game is massively CPU limited on anything other the latest Intel CPUs,if you are into settlement building and certain types of mods,since it pushes two threads more than the next 4 it uses.

Also if you mod the game,uninstalling mods can screw up the saves,and at the same time mods can overwrite some of the game files,so it might be worth re-installing them.

Back
Top Bottom