family issues - advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'll try keep it simple.

elder family member called charlie has dementia and has for many years now.

they have 2 sons and no partners.

1 of those sons has 2 kids, the other doesn't.

charlie decided to make one of those grandkids have power of attorney and access to all their financials for various reasons. one being that the grandchild is just a bit more clued up with tech and the world so found it easier to do banking, buy things needed etc, another is that charlie didn't want to cause an issue with their sons, by having one "more important" than the other, so giving everything to one of the grand children made things less confrontational, or so we thought.

here's now the issue.

that grand child has totally stopped talking to this side of the family for no good reason. covid definitely didn't help with their mental state, but since they've decided that all the family has betrayed them, and no longer with speak with any of this side of the family. refusing calls, texts, visits etc.

the only way now to get an update on the financials of charlie, is to speak with the ex partner of one charlies sons (the mother of that grand child), who then acts as a go between, however they too are also heavily supporting the naughty grand childs behaviour, excusing everything they do etc, partly out of fear that if they don't, they will also lose access to seeing them and their young kids.

The trouble and reason for this thread, is unfortunately that there is money involved, and at some point in the new few years it's possible that Charlie may die.

What we've seen from the naughty grand child is things like

He purchases Charlie a new smart TV (was needed) however Charlie couldn't deal with the smart features and would get stuck, so rather than return the TV, they took the TV for themselves, and gave Charlie one of their own old old tvs. There was also a chrome cast 4k someone else bought and paid for (to try and simplify access to Netflix) which was taken with the TV.

When Charlie moved house, they were offering everything they had to everyone. Everyone was like "OK chalrie, sure I'll have them" knowing it'll be sorted by the group at some point, but at some point the grand child just took most of the expensive stuff for themselves without asking the group, now selling some, keeping others. Stuff worth hundred each.

Charlie often pays for them to go on holiday with their family, but with dementia, you have no idea if that was true. Anyone could convince Charlie now to give them the same thing 5 times over. For instance a birthday just happened, and they tried to give money after haven given money in a card, as they forgot. And after being told. 5 minute later, charlie goes off to get money again to give them.

Someone could easily take advantage of this, and the person in most control appears to be slightly from the little that is seen, and God knows what else they take as it's impossible to see the finances. They flat out refused to change bank to one that has online/app banking and you have to wonder why.

Now the thing is, realistically they can't be trusted any more as power of attorney, but with Charlie as they are, what hope does anyone have to change anything. What powers is there to take back some control, or at least, force them to be open about everything that is being spent and done?

Hoping maybe someone has experience with this and might know what is in place when someone with power of attorney goes rogue.

Soldato
Unfortunately it will have to get serious I.e.i believe you have to report it to the office of public governance.

They will do a detailed investigation and the power of attorney will be removed as a minimum. L

Power of attorney is a very difficult job and has to be taken seriously, if things don't add up there could be serious trouble.

I know of someone who had POA and ended up owing a load of money. The OPG did a forensic investigation into the expenses.

My sister had POA for my parents and she didn't keep track of costs very well, in her case I think it was incompetency so I have let it go.

Soldato
My sister had POA for my parents and she didn't keep track of costs very well, in her case I think it was incompetency so I have let it go.
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/ is full of similar situations to the OP's. Often folk get away with murder, because it can be hard to prove intent, and helping someone with dementia can be a frustrating and under-appreciated role. But there's no doubt that if there's money involved life is rarely simple for long.

But unless there's obvious wilful abuse, it helps to be... flexible. I know a thorough audit of mine and Mum's affairs would show anything like the clinical separation of funds that's technically required. But life as POA and carer (not always shared responsibilities) is no bed of roses; it's certainly the most self-destructive decision I've ever made, even though I'd do it again in a heartbeat. So the family leaves me to run things to the best of my abilities, knowing that Mum only has benefits and a state pension, and I'm not going to re-mortgage her bungalow and blow it on scratch cards... tempting though that might be sometimes! As long as I don't give the family cause for concern, they'll leave us be, and it's usually complaints to the OPG -- which is what sounds like's required in this case -- that trigger investigations rather than random audits. There are a lot of POAs out there!

Famous last words. :)

Soldato
Honestly whilst the situation doesn't sound ideal, ultimately the grandson was given power of attorney not you.

I'd just stay out of it personally. Unless you are in it for the money?

Soldato
Ultimately if you feel they are abusing the POA you need to report it.

https://www.gov.uk/report-concern-about-attorney-deputy-guardian

Having recently been thought the POA process (Mum's dementia) - It's a fairly arduous process with a lot of paperwork needed. Are you 100% sure they have a valid POA for Charlie?

There are financial POA and welfare POA's - both are very different.

Options are to report it if you feel there are issues - And if you wish to get more involved - Speak to social services about your concerns.

Soldato
Honestly whilst the situation doesn't sound ideal, ultimately the grandson was given power of attorney not you.

I'd just stay out of it personally. Unless you are in it for the money?

Sounds like he's concerned about his elderly relative being taken for a ride.

Power of attorney doesn't mean help yourself and you have to question why such a serious role was given to the grandchild in the first place.

Soldato
OP
Just heard of the update with this as saw them tonight and wondered what others thought about this.

The investigation happened and concluded that the grandson had been spending the money incorrectly, however they could only judge anything since the diagnosis of lost mental capacity, which due to the grandsons neglect, Charlie never had a test done until late summer which was forced to happen by the hospital and should have happened about 1 year sooner,

the investigation started shortly after that diagnosis, so only about 5 months of activity could the opg judge (during which 3 of those months the grandson knew of the investigation happening), the OPG found the grandson had spent money incorrectly and arr now giving a few months for the grandson to recity.

They also found the grandson had also been spending Charlie's money for years, but as there was no mental capacity test done, the opg can't confirm whether Charlie just said, "spend my money as you want" so they won't get involved in that.

Seemes crazy to me. Regardless of how much the money has been spent, going over the line is surely enough. Add on top, it was only over a very short period of time, and going back shows more!

I was amazed at that result. They want to do more but feel a bit betrayed by the OPG and they lame response.

What else can they do now?

Last edited:
Associate
In my experience, very rarely can such matters be resolved internally so I echo what the others have said - get legal advice - an impartial, independent third party is usually the only the way forward when tackling family-related matters (or any matter concerning conflicts of interest).

Caporegime
Get legal advice.

It sounds like a complicated situation.

My parents and thier siblings are locked in a legal thing somewhat similar around inheritance and what happened not long before my grandparents passed (and weren't of right mind). It's been all consuming to them. To point where my mum has been on suicide watch.

Part of that was to do with extracting money under dubious (probably fraudulent) circumstances by a uncle.

Roll on 3 years and this is all still going on. Unfortunately only winners will be lawyers.
It has torn my family to pieces and completely ruined Christmas (I've of reasons I hate Christmas now) . I no longer talk to any of my family beyond my patents/sisters as I just can't handle it.

To be honest I can't believe it. 6 years ago if anyone would have said this would be my family now? Wouldn't have believed it. We all used to go around one person's house at Xmas. It was amazing. All gone now over money. Unbelievable really. Just glad to be geographically away from it all. I hate visiting home it's just a miserable place of tainted memories.

Legal advice is all I can say. Hope turns out better than mine,

Edit. Dementia was also the condition of my grandparent.
Added more blurb too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
People who made the move to cheat the other parties out of money will dig in, human behaviour is like that. Rarely will they go “oh sorry, I didn’t know, here is thousands and thousands back”.

If the other party is not willing to let it go then the one at fault will seldom admit it without outside (legal) intervention.

They are already committed, often, and in your case, long term, so to them it’s “normal” and so it is a bit late to go back, it is a bit late to admit fault and it is certainly too late to apologise.

Associate
They also found the grandson had also been spending Charlie's money for years, but as there was no mental capacity test done, the opg can't confirm whether Charlie just said, "spend my money as you want" so they won't get involved in that
Who could confirm? The grandchild and a dementia sufferer? It's obvious how that investigation will end (and has ended)

I was amazed at that result. They want to do more but feel a bit betrayed by the OPG and they lame response.

What else can they do now?

The OPG have done their investigation, and come to a conclusion and their reasoning for limiting their investigation seems sound

Seems to me that past "losses" will have to be written-off in the minds of the wider family

If they want to take it further, the thing to do is to investigate how the grandchild could be removed as an attorney (or whatever) because they are acting fraudulently or are unfit in some other way. That would mean taking, and paying for, legal advice

Soldato
My parents and thier siblings are locked in a legal thing somewhat similar around inheritance and what happened not long before my grandparents passed (and weren't of right mind). It's been all consuming to them. To point where my mum has been on suicide watch.

Part of that was to do with extracting money under dubious (probably fraudulent) circumstances by a uncle.

Roll on 3 years and this is all still going on. Unfortunately only winners will be lawyers.
It has torn my family to pieces and completely ruined Christmas (I've of reasons I hate Christmas now) . I no longer talk to any of my family beyond my patents/sisters as I just can't handle it.

To be honest I can't believe it. 6 years ago if anyone would have said this would be my family now? Wouldn't have believed it. We all used to go around one person's house at Xmas. It was amazing. All gone now over money. Unbelievable really. Just glad to be geographically away from it all. I hate visiting home it's just a miserable place of tainted memories.

Legal advice is all I can say. Hope turns out better than mine,

Edit. Dementia was also the condition of my grandparent.
Added more blurb too.

For this exact reason why sometimes it is better to just let these things go.

IF a family member does this and you can't easily stop them, then fine, cut all ties and move on, more to life than money.

Caporegime
For this exact reason why sometimes it is better to just let these things go.

IF a family member does this and you can't easily stop them, then fine, cut all ties and move on, more to life than money.

Not to hijack thread so Ill just reply here, once. Me and my sisters have told my parents... Wtf are you playing at. They (collectively my mum and siblings) are deadlocked over issues with inheritance. This has seen the estate including house to be unsold for 3 years. With them (collectively) paying out all bills while a non lived in house rots.

Coupled to that prices are falling, maintenance, legal costs and biggest stress, its so frustrating.

What's this over? 10ks worth of land.

Grilled my mum as to why they are fighting still. Principle of it. It's so bitter no one will back down.

What's the estate worth? Maybe 800k+? Probably much more.
Whats my parents estate worth? 800k+ mortgage free.

Burning thier last years in misery over pittance. It's hard to have sympathy for thier plight when they have (all of them) so much. And this is over so little. I'd understand if one party was in poverty. But no.

Unbelievable. Just blows my mind. I cannot imagine how much they are collectively losing

Sure OPs isn't this bad. But neither was this 2 years ago. A lot to be said for distance. I have a lot on my plate outside of extended family. So for me, cutting it out has helped.

Last edited:
Soldato
If its nothing to do with you walk away. As soon as one person gets sole control all bets are off.

If people are only finding out years later that money has disappeared, thats the result of not being involved and at that point they've already voted with their feet.

Families are like vultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom