Fan Replacement on PSU?

Soldato
I recently Upgraded my 600w Enermax Noisetaker PSU. The only real problem with it was the rear 80mm fan developed a rattle, I have a HX850 in my main system now but I thought I would replace the fan on this anyway, as it served me so well for so may years. Anything I need to know? they seem to be wired up a little funky in these units. Never actually replaced a PSU fan before either :D

PS you should have seen the dust in this mother!

Soldato
By no means definitive but I documented my PSU fan swap as part of a tutorial I did a while back. This one even involved hard wired leads which complicated things.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18261286

Provided you keep away from any capacitor, metal surfaces of the PCB, including heatsinks (got a heavy tingle off a heatsink once) you'll be fine.

Easy job and a good way to reduce the stupid speed of PSU fans that manufacturers seem to think we need.

Soldato
OP
Be careful with what you're touching in there!

Over a decade ago when I first got into the realm of PC modding and I got my first window case I stripped down a PSU to remove the Intel support and latency connectors (was running a socket A at the time). due to working a night shift and being totally monged I had the bright idea of plugging the PSU into the mains to test it before I put it all back together, It didn't occur to me in my lack of sleep drunk like state that holding the PSU by its innards was a bad idea at the time. Looking at my hand now I can still see 2 of the 4 contact scars on my right middle finger. It could however been worse as I was naked (I like being naked in my own space k) sat on the floor with my legs crossed and all the things that really matter in the world directly bellow the PSU at the time of "the incident". One thing I will say about being electrocuted however is that you CAN let go, you just have to focus after the initial OMGWTF. :)

By no means definitive but I documented my PSU fan swap as part of a tutorial I did a while back. This one even involved hard wired leads which complicated things.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18261286

Provided you keep away from any capacitor, metal surfaces of the PCB, including heatsinks (got a heavy tingle off a heatsink once) you'll be fine.

Easy job and a good way to reduce the stupid speed of PSU fans that manufacturers seem to think we need.

Cool thanks mate I'll have a look :D

Back
Top Bottom