Fanless Water Cooling?

Associate
Hi.

As the title suggests, would it be possible to have a watercooling system that is fanless?

I know the Zalman Resorator is like that, but it is a bit on the expensive side.

I am not talking about OCing, just quiet operation. Also, I was thinking just the CPU, and nothing else.

Big enough radiator and enough flow do it?

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Sorry, should have mentioned that it was to cool a Quad Q8200.

Case wise, due to lack of space, I couldn't get away with anything other than a midi tower, so a normal heatsink without a fan might struggle.

Also, I want something with enough overhead that I wouldn't have to worry about high room temps, etc...

Associate
OP
Thanks.

Never think to check B grade :)

Is the Reserator a good system? Or would be it be possible to make a better setup for between £100-150?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info.

So, it seems that because my CPU isn't being pushed very hard, as long as I have a reasonable sized radiator, any decent WC setup shouldn't have a problem without a fan?

Obviously, in ideal conditions, my graphics card (GTX 260) should also be included, but I am just not confident enough to remove the standard cooler on it :(

Other than that, I think the only fan in my case would be at the front cooling the hard drives down. But since they need hardly any air flow over them, I would think that I could slow the fan down via a fan controller until it was almost inaudible.

Those three put together should make for a quiet system. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Excellent, that is exactly the info I like to hear :)

If, like you say, you have no probs with your CPU overclocked like that, than I shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for the info.

Associate
OP
Don't get me wrong, I read and appreciate every post in this thread.

I particularly like Shadowscotland's Bungee hard drive mod. :)

One of the things I was looking at in the quest for quietness was to reduce hd noise. For the time being, all I have got is some rubber mounts to put between them and the case.

Associate
OP
Actually, a quick browse shows that they are reasonably priced.

What is the deal with Cape Cora anyway? What are the main pro/cons over a standard rad?

Associate
OP
Cape Cora are designed as radiators - not heat exchangers like the "radiators" that are usually used in watercooling. Each one can cope with 25W of heatload with a reasonable Temperature Delta.

Err, thanks, I think :)

25W doesn't sound like a lot? Any idea how many I would need to cool my Q8200?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info everyone.

Actually, I was intending to mount the rad outside the case anyway since it would not only help it cool down but would also help keep the inside of the case colder as well.

I noticed that the Innovatek ones are a much more expensive than the Alphacool Cape Cora rads. Guess you get what you pay for. :)

A PA120.3 for £35? Damn, I need to hurry up and get into the MM to see if there are any second hand bargains like that to be had! :)

Back
Top Bottom