Fantasy style website

Soldato
Not really, you can pay several thousand for a large website, more for ecommerce. I would imagine that there is a huge amount of data management running behind these sites.

Soldato
OP
I have no idea, as I know barely anything about building websites.
I know the company that quoted, have the rights to the templates they've already used etc . so wouldn't think it's as involved.

Soldato
Without knowing much about what you want (i cant see your link without a login) i'd say the quote is quite high.

There might be a lot of data storage and processing for a typical fantasy football type site but it's all repetitive with fairly simple logic.
it could become a bit more complex depending on how you want the data/scores/etc entered.

I would expect to quote nearer half that price through work and significantly less again if you can find a decent freelancer with the time to build it.

Soldato
I've actually built something like that before - or at least started and got a fair chunk through before I got bored and moved on to something else. Keep meaning to finish it off one day.

Its a fairly complex thing to make and dependent on the team building it not too unreasonable a cost. At the agency I work at the developers are priced out at £1,000 a day to give you an example - and dependent on what you want/need you'd also need a number of other people working on the project: UX Designer, Visual Designer, QA, Project Manager etc. You could find a freelancer to do the work with you, but I wouldn't expect that they would produce anything as polished as a proper team of professionals. I know for sure we wouldn't be able to produce that would be suitable for release for based on what I know for £50k ($80k).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for some of the input guys.
Actually had a decent conversation with a guy in Finland (who was recommended via a business associate) that was kind of exactly what I'm looking for.
Someone who will invest their own time to develop the site in exchange for % ownership and some $$$ to cover expenses.

Fingers crossed can get this thing rolling!

Soldato
OP
That's the next process, NDA, contracts etc

We are just trying to come up with a plan where he has skin the game and is compensated for his 4-5 months of work etc.
I've now had enough quotes, ball parks where most people are in the same area of $$$ that I know I'm not being ripped off or seriously being low balled just to have spend more towards the end.

Soldato
Seems a fair quote to me, even without knowing the details. Although the underlying code is not that complex, delivering a finished product is about far, far more than just writing some code.

Back
Top Bottom