Fast estate 15-20k

Soldato
So I'm wanting to purchase an estate car, I don't do many miles, 5k ish per year, so economy is not important for this car.

I do mainly want it for space for the odd trip to the forest with the bikes, when we go away once a year etc, but also miss having a fast car.

I've been looking at golf r estates (2019 ish) , rs4 avant (2014 ish).

There be any other considerations? I wish bmw made m3 tourings earlier, I get it's a niche market!

Last edited:
There are many other fast tourings BMW offer.

Do you want it fast in a straight line? Or do you value handling and steering feel?

A Golf R estate is quite different to an RS4 Avant.

My money would go on a 335i or 340i Touring.

The Cupra Leon Estate is also quite smart and would be my pick over a Golf.
Cupra Leon is 2wd isn't it? Was my main hesitation when browsing.

Handling and steering is just as important really, just an all round fun drive which can be practical in terms of boot space.

I get they're very different cars :p

I hadn't even thought about 335/340i tbf, I will take a look at those now :D

I had this exact same dilemma, and went with the Golf R estate. Picked it up yesterday. I only just managed to keep it under £20k, at a 2017, but I wanted reasonably low miles. If your looking at 2019's for £15-20k they must be higher mile examples. I set my search on Autotrader for under 60k, so I don't know the market on higher mile examples to be fair.

The Seat Cupra is a nice enough car. But sitting in one after having sat in a Golf, you could REALLY feel where the corners were cut. MUCH cheaper feeling interior. The door handles are cheap plastic. I just didn't want to deal with that everytime I got out the car. Although you get a lot of spec for the money, so if you can handle the cheaper feel, you will be rewarded with more tech.

The RS4 Avant is a beast though. That V8 is lovely. But a thirsty thing, and the carbon deposit issue puts me off a bit. Almost like regular servicing having to clean that out, else you do lose a chunk of power. None the less, a beast. But, as with most beasts, they are a bit heavier. And more suited to straight line stuff than the twistier stuff. Plus, unlikely for the fuel economy ever to start with a 3, and way more likely to start with a 1. Not a huge consideration on these cars, sure. But was a touch off putting. I averaged almost 34 mpg on the 470 mile drive home yesterday. And where possible, the cruise was set just under license losing speeds. No way an RS4 would get anywhere near that at these speeds.

335i or 340i Tourings are £10k over budget. Nice and all that, but not in the same league really. Either that or you are going older are leggier than you really want for that money.

I looked at S4 Avants as well. A little more expensive than the Golf R if you want to get one new enough for the virtual cockpit (which I did). But very nice. Although that 2.9T isn't a problem free engine. There is one pretty big flaw, that'll affect them all, and is around a £4k fix. Can't remember off the top of my head what exactly it was. But I remember the price. It's all over youtube to be fair. Nice car, nice interior. Hard to find with adaptive cruise though, another feature I wanted.

In the end, after considering all the fast estates in that budget, to me at least, the Golf R estate was the clear winner for a fun, daily driver dog carrier. To be honest, after considering pretty much all the competition, it wasn't even close. But I was putting fun handling over pure power. Mostly as a result of missing my Clio 197 I guess, and the fun I had in that.
I'm not so worried about miles as long as its taken care of, fsh etc. Max I've been looking at it about 90k. I'm glad you're happy with it though, they look like ace cars and I love the look of them.

Oh yeah definitely get about 350 from a full tank in an rs4 I imagine :p

I've looked at s4s too but find they just look a little bland for the money.

Can you really get a 2014 Audi RS4 for this money? It's significantly more powerful than the Golf, so what did you want? If the Golf will work for you then something like an Audi S4 might be a better choice.
Yeah it looks like you can which is how I stumbled on it :D

There is one with fsh for £13,975, but it's done 140k miles.

What I also like about the RS4 is it's not a bad financial purchase (until it breaks :p) - but an rs4 will always hold a premium I think.

Last edited:
I don't know if the tanks in an RS4 are 90 litres, ha ha. I had a V8 S4 many years ago, and I didn't hoon it everywhere, but averaged around 25 mpg (around 280 miles per tank). If you really were just having fun all the time, I think it would have hovered closer to 20 mpg. I can't imagine the RS4 would be any better to be honest. I understand at 5k per year the actual economy doesn't matter too much. But it gets tiring filling it all the time in reality. And eventually you get fed up with it just being soooooo poor here. At least I did. When I had my 335d (e91 LCI) mapped, it was almost as quick, but 40 mpg average. Was a no brainer which one to keep.

I know what your saying about the S4 looks. They can look good, but they are a bit bland. The interiors are great though, and you wont be looking at it when your driving it. A friend had one and now a Golf R estate, and he much prefers his R. Which was useful information for me, as I did want to prioritise fun over pure power.

I do think the Golf R Estate is a fine looking thing though. Here is a cheeky picture of mine.

IMG-7901-JPG-compressed.jpg
Yeah may have underestimated a little there :p

Golf r is lovely, i think it's the more sensible choice than the rs4 but I still am on the fence!

No longer available....? :)
Oooh yes I purchased it, £15,000, 2016 with only 50,000 on the clock and FSH. I wasn't sure of the wheels on the advert but they're growing on me, but I think I will still be on the look out for some OEM VW R wheels to replace them with, will likely just burn out the tyres on these then buy a new set. :p

I love it!

Edit diff pic as put some meguires tyre shine on, as they were looking sad.

upload

Last edited:
That's an absolute steal for insurance these days (unless you've got a £2500 excess or something :p)
err £400 voluntary £400 compulsory I think.. I've never used (touch wood) car insurance in my life so hoping I don't have to.

When I was browsing other cars, I also looked at the BMW 640i Gran Coupe, lovely cars, but that was one car that was nearly £700 to insure, madness, must be popular to nick or something.

My little a3 behind is just a 1.6 but that was less than £200 a year to insure!

Back
Top Bottom