Faster than 6000MHz RAM for 7950x3d advice needed.

Associate
Sorry guys, I have been out of the PC building circle for way too long.

I am buying 7950x3d and a memory to go with it. I know that 6000Mhz memory kits are the sweet spot.

The thing is I am planning to upgrade my CPU in next 2-3 years therefore do you think it is a good idea to buy memory capable of achieving faster clocks like 7200Mhz for example? Will such ram work with 7950x3d?

Cheers

Soldato
Hardware Unboxed did a video related to this on RAM amount and their advice was to buy what you need now and if you need better later buy that then.

Associate
The price difference isn't actually that much so I would just get the better memory yeah. It will work fine at the lower speed that the 7950X3D's memory controller can handle.

Man of Honour
The X3D CPUs are not fussed about RAM, so I wouldn't worry too much. Low latency 6000 should still be enough. If you're buying 32GB it'll probably be dumped and replaced with a 64GB kit in the longer-term anyway.

Will such ram work with 7950x3d?
I believe so, yes, but not 1:1 with the infinity fabric, which reduces the benefit of high speed memory. They're also more likely to be XMP than EXPO, which can require more manual tweaking since they are intended for Intel.

Soldato
do you think it is a good idea to buy memory capable of achieving faster clocks
I thought the same when I made my ryzen 3700x build yonks ago and got the fastest ram that I could afford for a later build, and ran them at super low latency, little did I know that I'd have a massive stroke, and that time would fly, so after leaving the care home, by the time I got home again to my computer , which broke after me getting back, I had to do a total refresh of my old computer, and get it built by my local computer guy friend,
anyway, the point is that by the time it came to upgrading, my fast ddr4 was completely obsolete, times had moved onto DDR5, so you never know what might happen, forcing you to upgrade later than you had hoped, I know that plentiful consumer DDR6 is a way off, so I understand why you are thinking about simple future proofing with your DDR5 purchase now,
but the chance of you needing to upgrade your pc to one which has DDR5 needed fast components, is little to none if you will already will have a
7950x3d, which is one of the best CPUs out right now, beating even intels finest offerings, I doubt that you are going to need to upgrade basically, like what do you use your CPU for that is so important that you need to keep up with the most current CPU tech?

as tetra says, if you are getting 32GB of ram, then this will be the first thing to go out of he window, when you upgrage to 64GB
I know that the price difference is not very much, but honestly, I'd get 64GB of the cheapest value DDR5 and let the x3d just do it's thing with average speed ram it will be 1:1 with the infinity fabric with 6000DDR5 anyway, and 64GB value ram is going to be quite a bit cheaper than 64GB 6000+ ram right now, remember that any money saved, can be put towards later components later, like an expensive GPU, or monitor
so, in answer to you question, No, don't bother

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m going 8000mhz when I go AM5 as not only do I enjoy a bit of tinkering but the 9000 series will apparently support some kind of dynamic ram overclocking when the ram speed and timings will change depending on workload.

Associate
Sorry guys, I have been out of the PC building circle for way too long.

I am buying 7950x3d and a memory to go with it. I know that 6000Mhz memory kits are the sweet spot.

The thing is I am planning to upgrade my CPU in next 2-3 years therefore do you think it is a good idea to buy memory capable of achieving faster clocks like 7200Mhz for example? Will such ram work with 7950x3d?

Cheers

So you could get faster RAM and downclock it to 6000 MT/s or 6200 but it would cost a lot more and you wouldn't see a huge improvement for the effort.

DDR5 is also maturing so in a couple years time, you'll see much faster kits anyway so it'll likely be a waste.

Back
Top Bottom