Faulty alternator?

Soldato
My Mondeo (2009 petrol estate) splutters for the first few mins after starting, and occasionally cuts out when in neutral (never when stationary, always when moving and usually downhill). This can happen coming down my driveway after an hour or so of driving. My guess was an alternator issue but the symptoms towards the end of a drive are confusing me a bit.

Has anyone got any suggestions before I take it to a garage?

Don
Won't be the alternator (as that essentially is just to produce electrical power)

Sounds more like a fuel injector issue (which are quite common on Mondeo's)

Soldato
OP
I'd agree it doesn't sound like the alternator.

Do you shift into neutral when rolling down hills?
I only put the clutch in prior to coming to a stop or when moving very slowly.
injector issue is for diesel only. if issue is in neutral or coasting then check the idle control valve., may need a clean out or replacement.
I'm not sure the mk4 Mondeo has an idle control valve. I've seen a suggestion to clean the throttle body. I might try that and if no better then it's garage time.

Soldato
Has anyone got any suggestions before I take it to a garage?
crank shaft position sensor ? they can be responsible for wrong fuelling/stalling at idling, hot startup; they get cooked after years next to a hot engine;
I guess garage will tell you if there are any relevant fault codes,

I replaced one last year on similarly aged 3 series, in retrospect I suspected some erratic values on tachomter had been an indication of failure.

Back
Top Bottom