• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FAULTY ATI X1900 XT-X?

Soldato
Hey guys.

I just received my ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X today but I think it may be faulty. :(

I uninstalled my previous graphics card and used Driver Cleaner Pro to remove the extra files lying around. I plugged in the new one and when it was booting up the colours of my Abit screen were all garbled up.

I installed the latest Xtreme G War Cat 6.3 graphics drivers and everything in Windows seems to be fine. However, upon running 3DMark 05 it seemed slower than it should and the frame rates were definitely much lower than I expected. Upon completing the test, it scored 9875. This is a good score, but seems too low for what has been dubbed the fastest graphics card in the world. I was expecting a score between 11,000 and 12,500. My other hardware should not be limiting this.

I'm going to use different drivers to see if that helps. What else can I do?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not sure about the 05 score but it does seem a bit low, was every slider to the left for performance, and no AA/AF on, v-sync off also, don't worry about the Abit logo as i get the same thing on my x1800 with a DFi LanParty RDX200 Crossfire, it looks about 8 colours, its normal, i just disabled it from showing in the BIOS. :)

Could try the Official Cat 6.3's.

OcUK Staff
Duel said:
Hey guys.

I just received my ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X today but I think it may be faulty. :(

I uninstalled my previous graphics card and used Driver Cleaner Pro to remove the extra files lying around. I plugged in the new one and when it was booting up the colours of my Abit screen were all garbled up.

I installed the latest Xtreme G War Cat 6.3 graphics drivers and everything in Windows seems to be fine. However, upon running 3DMark 05 it seemed slower than it should and the frame rates were definitely much lower than I expected. Upon completing the test, it scored 9875. This is a good score, but seems too low for what has been dubbed the fastest graphics card in the world. I was expecting a score between 11,000 and 12,500. My other hardware should not be limiting this.

I'm going to use different drivers to see if that helps. What else can I do?

The garbled boot screens is quite common on X1900's. Yes your performance result does seem sub what it should be and ideally should be 10.5-11.5k at least. :) However if your system is not well tuned or has software issues could be causing the issues. You should try a fresh install with all latest drivers. :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for responses guys.

Good to know that garbled screen is common! :p

I will try the official drivers first of all and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I will perform a complete fresh installation, but I would rather not ideally. Oh well, good job I have no work today! :D

I will post back when I have progressed.

Associate
i got a ATI X1900 XT last week and my 3dmark05 score was 10388 3DMarks.
that was with CATS 6.3 as well, might be worth trying these.
did you use the lastest version of Driver Cleaner Pro ?

Soldato
OP
I uninstalled the War Cat drivers, used Driver Cleaner Pro, and then installed the official ATI drivers. I re-ran 3dMark 05 and this time I scored 10623. This is still lower than I expected, but just within what you describe as the ideal level Gibbo.

If I performed a fresh installation of Windows is it likely that it would improve the performance of the card?

Soldato
OP
I just tested Age of Empires III and Far Cry. AOE3 was good but the frame rate was dropping fairly often. Far Cry had a very low frame rate throughout. Surely these games should run at maximum settings and an excellent frame rate right?

I will perform a system reinstall soon, when my new antivirus and firewall software arrives. If that doesn't solve it, what could be the problem?

Caporegime
Yeah change them, put all the sliders fully left, and tick 'let the application decide' for your AA/AF settings, and set v-sync off, and Apply them all. :)

Nearly forgot, in the API setting one of the CCC also, tick 'triple buffering' for the OpenGL setting to, then Apply that also, then run 05.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I changed all the settings as stated, and ended all the programmes I could in the tray. I got 10850, so there was a slight but significant improvement. Thanks!

Far Cry is still not running at acceptable levels though. I will try more games and see how they run too.

Duel said:
Far Cry is still not running at acceptable levels though. I will try more games and see how they run too.

How do you mean farcy is not at acceptable levels, you system should kill farcry surely, just to compare, could you tell me the frame rate you get at this exact point in farcry, it's right at the begining just as you come out the door and look across the bay, mine is,

Maxed settings, full AA&AF

Why i'm intrested is b-cos I'm just about to order an X1900XT myself and farcry is my fav game, so if the X1900XT don't help much over my old 7800gtx then I may reconsider,

or anybody else with a X1900XT or 7900GTX could you post a screen shot of your fps at the same spot as I have, so then who ever gets the highest fps gives me an idea of what I need to get this game running faster, cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Here you go lowrider007

Farcry on my xt1900xt-x at 1920x1200 with HDR on and all settings at MAX.

9466efca.jpg
[/IMG]

Soldato
lowrider007 said:
:eek: , thats neary double mine and your running @ 1920x1200 with HDR, I must say I'm really impressed, well thats definitly convinced me to get a X1900XT, just hope I won't be to cpu limited, i'm running my p4 [email protected] at the mo.
You will be slightly but tbh 3.6ghz should be fine to run at decent levels.

Back
Top Bottom