• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Faulty Graphics Card?

Associate
Hi Guys,
Im after some advise diagnosing a possible faulty graphics card.
I have an AMD Radeon RX480, never been overlocked or tinkered with appears to be crashing.

Most of the time the screen will go black and PC is unresponsive, occasionally it will hang and the sound will stutter repeating the last sound being played from the speaker.

Event viewer is empty right up to the event (only logging the fact the PC rebooted or was reset).

I did a Windows 10 "Reset" a few days back, installed a clean stable driver and no difference.
I have two monitors connected over Display port, have tried going down to a single monitor on a different port but no difference.

Playing ANY game will crash the PC. Running a graphics card Benchmark will crash the PC.
I've ran a memory test and CPU stress test and both come back fine, but when ever the graphics card is given any load it crashes.

WhattMan is showing temperature fluctuating between 50-80 degrees C.

Ive checked the card is seated correctly, the supply cables are connected correctly but am now running out of ideas, does anyone have any suggestions? Graphics card is less than 3 years old.

Soldato
Have you tested your PSU? If your PSU cannot cope, you're going to get problems. Which PSU do you have? Do you have a spare?

Do you have another GPU? Does your CPU have IGP? If so, take the GPU out and try running without it (or with the spare) and see how you get on.

Associate
OP
just to confirm have a Corsair HX 620W PSU. Motherboard is Asus Maximus viii Hero.
Sadly dont have a spare but may be able to lean on the IT department at work.

Permabanned
just to confirm have a Corsair HX 620W PSU. Motherboard is Asus Maximus viii Hero.
Sadly dont have a spare but may be able to lean on the IT department at work.

This power supply is a model from 2008? If so, it's possible its rails cannot support the new graphics cards.

Associate
OP
This power supply is a model from 2008? If so, it's possible its rails cannot support the new graphics cards.
I think you are correct around that date, looks like I last updated my PC Dec 2016/Jan2017 but didnt appear to purchase a power supply. That said, its been powering the system for almost 3 years without any issues until this month :|

Last edited:
Permabanned
I think you are correct around that date, looks like I last updated my PC Dec 2016/Jan2017 but didnt appear to purchase a power supply. That said, its been powering the system for almost 3 years without any issues until this month :|

Ok but what are you going to do next?

Associate
OP
Ok but what are you going to do next?

I've managed to to get hold of a 1000W PSU at work which someone has in their gaming rig (SLI setup). Im hoping to test it this evening, just powering the GPU from his PSU and see how it performs.

I've logged a warranty claim with XFX for the graphics card as it only has a few weeks left on the warranty and wanted to initiate that process just in case.

Permabanned
I've managed to to get hold of a 1000W PSU at work which someone has in their gaming rig (SLI setup). Im hoping to test it this evening, just powering the GPU from his PSU and see how it performs.

I've logged a warranty claim with XFX for the graphics card as it only has a few weeks left on the warranty and wanted to initiate that process just in case.

Let's hope this 1kW PSU is a new make from this year or yesteryear, because those from the previous decade would likely give the same results.

Associate
OP
Let's hope this 1kW PSU is a new make from this year or yesteryear, because those from the previous decade would likely give the same results.

What makes you suggest this? In my head I had assumed my power supply (being ~9 years old) was starting to fail?

Permabanned
What makes you suggest this? In my head I had assumed my power supply (being ~9 years old) was starting to fail?

Not necessarily. Might be a software update which causes higher load on the GPU which on the other hand will push the PSU more heavily.

"A modern power supply must output at least 18A (amps) on the +12V rail(s) for a mainstream up-to-date computer, more than 24A for a system with a single enthusiast-class graphics card, and no less than 34A when it comes to a high-end SLI/CrossFire system."
https://www.google.com/search?q=gra...e..69i57j33.9171j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Your PSU supplies max only 18A on its +12V1 and +12V2 rails.
https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/corsair-hx620w-power-supply-review/7/

It is easier for you to test the card on a new system, instead of experimenting with power supplies.

Associate
OP
Not necessarily. Might be a software update which causes higher load on the GPU which on the other hand will push the PSU more heavily.

"A modern power supply must output at least 18A (amps) on the +12V rail(s) for a mainstream up-to-date computer, more than 24A for a system with a single enthusiast-class graphics card, and no less than 34A when it comes to a high-end SLI/CrossFire system."
https://www.google.com/search?q=gra...e..69i57j33.9171j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Your PSU supplies max only 18A on its +12V1 and +12V2 rails.
https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/corsair-hx620w-power-supply-review/7/

It is easier for you to test the card on a new system, instead of experimenting with power supplies.

So currently testing with an OCZ ZS750, from what I can tell offers 54A on the +12V rails?

Tested with two games so far (both of which ive not been able to get into for the last couple of weeks) and everything looks good.
About to run a FurMark stress test on the GPU and see what happens.

Permabanned
So currently testing with an OCZ ZS750, from what I can tell offers 54A on the +12V rails?

Tested with two games so far (both of which ive not been able to get into for the last couple of weeks) and everything looks good.
About to run a FurMark stress test on the GPU and see what happens.

Yes, this OCZ PSU looks better than the Corsair HX620.
Are you going to keep it if all goes well or buy something else?

Associate
OP
So I think I’ve found the source of the problem!

stress tests went fine, around an hour without a single crash.
Decided to move my PCIE power cable from one PSU slot to another and came across this:

I
wonder how much current I can pass through those two outside pins :confused: :eek:

will try a new cable in the next slot along tomorrow and see if the problem is still there, either way I need to budget for a new PSU I think!

Last edited:
Associate

Decided to move my PCIE power cable from one PSU slot to another and came across this:

I
wonder how much current I can pass through those two outside pins :confused:

will try a new cable in the next slot along tomorrow and see if the problem is still there, either way I need to budget for a new PSU I think!
:eek: shocking.

Soldato

I
wonder how much current I can pass through those two outside pins :confused: :eek:

If it is just the cable that was at fault it might be worth cleaning the pcie connector pins in the PSU as there may be a bit of carbon build-up from the bad connection.

Associate
OP
If it is just the cable that was at fault it might be worth cleaning the pcie connector pins in the PSU as there may be a bit of carbon build-up from the bad connection.

yes I plan to do this, although will be trying the other PCIE power connector block and will be staying clear of this one.

no issues or damage on the GFX card that I can see and as mentioned above performing perfectly well when connected to an external PSU/Cable.

Back
Top Bottom