Faulty Sub

Soldato
Hi All,

I bought a new subwoofer (SVS SB1000) late last year and noticed (not immediately) sometimes that there sounds like a low rumble, almost like the tail end of a thunder clap, just persistent. I put this down to a distant aircraft when I first heard it, then got used to it I guess. I did not know where it was coming from as the noise didn't sound like it was coming from a particular area.

Having got a dog not too long after my sub purchase and playing with the dog down at his level (near the sub) I then noticed that actually, it was the sub the whole time that puts out the noise!

The sub is set to auto on and the rumble occurs when sub is not playing anything, so either with TV off or quiet scenes for example. Noise occurs whether it's set to on or auto on, with or without the RCA cable plugged in, with a different power lead and also plugged into a different mains socket. The noise disappears when I set the Low Pass Filter down to 50Hz but I need it in LFE.

I've had a couple of subs before one of which I have noticed a low hum (l used to have a really old amp which made a humming noise) but definitely not a constant low rumble, and my other sub didn't make any other unwanted noise at all.

I note this humming noise because the seller told me this was normal and was the amp in the sub and after contact back and forth they sent out a new amp board, but I still hear the low rumble and they are refusing to give me a refund because apparently it's not faulty. In my view it's feasible but would be unlucky to have another faulty board. Maybe dodgy wires or an inherent design flaw. I cannot accept this as being normal, yes it should rumble but when it's supposed to.

I am not sure what to do. Can anyone offer any advice? I paid £520 for it and cannot put up with the noise especially now I know what's causing it (and cannot unhear it).

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom