• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Faulty X1800XL?

Soldato
A friend of mine has a problem with his shiny new rig (besides the PSU he blew by being lazy :rolleyes: - j/k m8!) so has asked me to post here :>

First up details:

CPU: San Diego 4000+ - temp 32-45C
Mobo: ASUS A8N-E - latest BIOS - Board temp 28-35C
GPU: Sapphire X1800XL 256MB - GPU temp 45-65C

now some lovely errors!

Whilst playing games on his shiny new rig games like to lockup :(

So far issues in CoD2, FEAR & Far Cry. Fully patched all games (where possible). Seemed to stop after disabling Cat. AI and VPU recover. However he still gets lockups in 3dm05 and Ruby Demo 2.

Lockups are graphical only however as the sounds still play normally in the background. It either reboots after about 10 secs or requires a manual restart. Also Ruby Demo kept looping quite happily with only the sounds playing....

Tested using different drivers as follows:

Catalyst 5.11, 5.13 and 6.1
Omega 6.1

What is going wrong here? Temps don't seem out of the ordinary to me and beyond drivers and game patches I can only start to think faulty card?

Any good ideas on a postcard or summin :>

Ta :D

Last edited:
Associate
tbh mate i'd check the RAM.

make sure the RAM was'nt damaged when he blew the PSU.
also if possible try the card in another machine. and try the RAM in another machine as well.

check the mobo recomended settings for the ram some boards have to have different types of ram in different slots.

Associate
Hi there,

I'm the guy with the x1800xl problem...

So here's an update

PSU is a Tagan 480W ATX2.0, it's been fine for the last 18 months and is being replaced under warranty by Tagan. It's fine, well it will be! :)

The crash caused a frozen screen with sound still playing then after 10 seconds, a black screen with loopinh/choppy sound then a reboot/manual power off.

I will run prime95 and memtest when I get the PSU sorted but there are two options I think:

1.. Faulty card - unstable? My thoughts are RMA it and get a refund/replacement (may dabble in nvidia..)

2. Memory. If memtest flags something up it may be by timings with the nf4 board.

Does anyone have a GOOD stable set of timings/etc for GEiL DDR3200 (value) it's CAS 2.5 if that helps. Obviously these are for the nforce4 chipset A8N-E (fussy?)

Thoughts?

A side note: FEAR, 3dMark05 and Ruby all ran fine when I first put it all together and installed. After putting on CoD2 and playing for a bit it was all good. Later, CoD2 froze up and then all my problems started.

I really shouldn't have to force my card to not crash by disabling Catalyst AI and VPU recover..I mean, I'll be losing the FPS boost...

Back
Top Bottom