Favourite celebrity chef?

Soldato
Big fan of Kieth Floyd (RIP) and think James Martin is good. I used to think Jamie Oliver was an arrogant little ****, bit he's grown on me a bit.

But hands down by far my favourite are Dave Myers & Simon King aka The Hairy Bikers, proper, non pretentious cooking in my opinion.

Soldato
like Rick Stein, raymond blanc

hate james martin, gordon ramsay

joke of a chef award goes to jamie oliver.
Put all the xmas left overs in a blender and have it as soup and throw about half a litre of olive oil on it and you have a classic Oliver dish

Caporegime
I used to think Jamie Olive was good but recently I’ve started to think he is unimaginative and lacks basic cooking technique. Plus he is obsessed putting lemon in everything, not a slice but like half or a whole lemon. (I know, I've checked, I have like 6 of his cook books!)

Last edited:
Associate
Raymond Blanc, I would very much like to stay at his Hotel. Marcus Waring comes across well on MasterChef.

Rick Stein, and Keith Floyd. When Floyd's programs were aired in the eighties, I was a kid, and yet his programs were very watchable, akin to Clive James, Michael Palin and Alan Whicker. All very engaging presenters and in Floyds case, a true eccentric.

Caporegime
I like Rick Stein, although I call his style of TV as cookologues. Half cooking/half travel show.

I also like James Martin, Marcus Wareing, Ainsley and Nigella (although that could be more for the boobies than the cooking)

I detest AWT. Little gnome he is.

Soldato
The OG Marco Pierre White, although less celebrity more eccentric character. Just interesting person to watch.

Marcus Wareing comes across no frills very professional so quite like him too.

I'll watch any Rick Stein stuff, mainly just for the travelling side of it.

Soldato
Marcus Wareing and Michel Roux Jnr both seem like decent guys and I like their styles. Same with Michael Caines.
I don't always like the recipes of Gordon Ramsay and James Martin, yet I find it quite interesting how they achieve them... and I'd say the same about Marco Pierre White, but then they both trained under him so that kinda runs in the family, I guess.
The Bikers are just fun.

Rick Stein I think is a complete ****. Both his style of food and the way he presents in general just comes over like the typical Brit On Holiday - He seems to talk down to everyone, like he's only half-trying to hide some kind of racism, and I get the impression he goes places where it's not entirely illegal to do naughty things with young boys... I dunno - There's just something hideously seedy about the repulsive little creature... Michael Portillo has a very similar vibe.

Caporegime
Marcus Wareing and Michel Roux Jnr both seem like decent guys and I like their styles. Same with Michael Caines.
I don't always like the recipes of Gordon Ramsay and James Martin, yet I find it quite interesting how they achieve them... and I'd say the same about Marco Pierre White, but then they both trained under him so that kinda runs in the family, I guess.
The Bikers are just fun.

Rick Stein I think is a complete ****. Both his style of food and the way he presents in general just comes over like the typical Brit On Holiday - He seems to talk down to everyone, like he's only half-trying to hide some kind of racism, and I get the impression he goes places where it's not entirely illegal to do naughty things with young boys... I dunno - There's just something hideously seedy about the repulsive little creature... Michael Portillo has a very similar vibe.
That’s a very insulting post about someone you don’t even know.

Soldato
Keith Floyd
+1 , +1 Raymond Blanc.

- Stein is too overexposed now, was humbler/better when snowy still around, similarly Ramsay, who was good on original series - F word.
- Jamie tries to maintain this laddish vibe despite being middle aged - it's like top gear comperes

+ Rachel Khoo - does she count - the original series echanting like a remake of Amelie.

Permabanned
Really like Hairy Bikers but to be honest there's not many I don't enjoy watching. If we're talking outside of mainstream TV fame I really like J. Kenji Lopez Alt and Matty Matheson on YouTube. I've learnt more about cooking from those two then the rest put together.

Only one I can't do is Ramsey. Truly despise the man and the way he's 'made it'.

Back
Top Bottom