Feedback on £3.5k+ Spec.

Associate
My current spec isn't quite up to the job anymore, having waited for the new AMD processors to come out (and flop somewhat) i'm itching to pull the trigger on a new build.

Current Spec : i7-8700k, Asus ROG Strix Z370-F, 16GB DDR4, Sound Blaster Zx, Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 XT Nitro Gaming OC (I believe the powersupply is a XFX 850W 80 Plus Silver, which is about 10 years old). Samsung Odyssey G9 49inch 240Hz monitor (5120x1440).

Usage : Gaming (CS2, WOW, a few other random steam games), Media play back (i attached my 4k TV via a HDMI cable for watching SkyGO).

New Spec : My plan is to buy a 5090 in Dec/Jan when they are released. keep the ultrawide monitor, keyboard and mouse from my current rig. I might move the sound card across and get some desktop speakers. I'm undecided on the PSU and the Motherboard i picked out is currently Pre-Order, but others with similar features are all pre-order.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,764.92 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Any opinions and/or comments? I'm open to suggestions or optimisations.

Some cheaper alternatives. I tried to pick in-stock only, but cooler is not in stock (usually readily available elsewhere).

Motherboard retains PCI-E 5.0 graphics, I'd also look at MSI's X670E Gaming Plus. What features do you need from the board?

Case includes 7 stock RGB fans.

HCG Pro PSU is based on Seasonic's Vertex.

For cooler i AIO was a cosmetic choice as my PC will be on display, I don't mind spending the extra, even if there are minimal performance gains.

When i was first looking at Motherboards i was looking at the PCIe 5.0 for both GFX card and M.2 drive, however looking at the extra cost per performance of the M.2 it's not worth the extra so a B650E board will do.

I was looking at that case before settling for the NZXT. I didn't spot extra fan's being included, which makes it more appealing. i'll need to think it over.

Thanks for the PSU suggestion, i have swapped your suggested one in to my basket.

Personally I would stick with 32GB and also go 6000Mhz with EXPO not 5600Mhz. Can't see 64GB being required for casual gaming use. And personal taste, I'd swap out the M.2 for the Kingston Fury. Both saves you £100 from your original basket whilst giving you a bit more (better Mhz and CAS on memory, and better TBW and theoretical max write speed on the M.2):

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £274.98 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

I know 32GB is already overkil for most games, i was looking at future proofing and factoring in how hungry chrome can be (figured Windows + Chrome + Discord + a Game might start to push 32GB in the next few years). In general would 6000MHz be better than 5600MHz? I believe it was bottlenecked by the processor speed so there were minimal advantages to fast speeds? (i have fairly poor knowledge when it comes to RAM so forgive me for asking dumb questions).

EDIT : After posting @Quartz mentioned about the sweetspot being C30 6000MHz. Thanks for the information.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom