Feek's macOS useful tools, utilities and applications thread

Permabanned
For any compression extraction/compression, I use Keke

NTFS for Mac, is decent, been using this for years, IIRC was £13 a license for each machine - even integrates into the disk utility drop down when you format a drive, or you can use the app it comes with.

Hope this helps someone :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone know of any freebie clone/backup software that can copy to another drive of incremental changes?
You could play around with rsync. The only problem is that it works on the file layer so if one line of text changes in the file it'll copy an entirely new file to your backup. Having said that though it is pretty powerful.

Soldato
How is iMovie for simple YouTube videos? I want to record my screen using OBS Broadcaster and then blur out and edit the footage before I upload it to YouTube. I don't think I really need to do anything too complex.

Also what do people use for thumbnails? I can't afford the Adobe software for something which is just a couple of one off videos.

Soldato
Is there a reasonably priced alternative to Microsoft Visio at all? I can pay for it on my Microsoft 365 account and it is about £5 a month but I'm curious what else is out there.

Man of Honour
Is there a reasonably priced alternative to Microsoft Visio at all? I can pay for it on my Microsoft 365 account and it is about £5 a month but I'm curious what else is out there.
Omnigraffle and Lucid Chart are my immediate thoughts, I think there's some others but quite often people I know succumb and pay up.

Soldato
It pains me to say it but there isn't anything as good as Visio on macOS.
I'm coming to that conclusion. For £18 a month you can get Visio Plan 2 (incl VAT) so you get the desktop app and the browser based app and I'm finding it hard to justify an alternative. Should be able to run it on Parallels just fine.

Back
Top Bottom