Feminism spin-off.

Soldato
OP
In that case, I wholeheartedly agree. :D

I'm not sure that's allowed in this thread! ;) :D

Sorry for confusing terms. I honestly don't come across that old-fashioned sexism very often so I had two particular instances of it in mind when I wrote that. One of the individuals I'm thinking of had marketing in his description, but he was basically a sales guy who gave himself a fancier job title.

Man of Honour
No. It could mean equality of outcome or equality of opportunity. [..]

For the people stated, yes.

Well by definition, equality replies more than one party.

There's more than one woman. Even people who are devout believers in group identity are at least vaguely aware of that fact.

And thus I'm with Irish Tom in saying I'm probably not going to debate your one-person tangent if it continues in that refusal to agree on common terms of discussion.

I'm certainly not going to agree that equality is only for the "right" sex, "race" or whatever. Equality is for everyone or it isn't equality. "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others" isn't my cup of tea.

this is the point of the thread - that modern Feminism is no longer about equality of opportunity.

A point I disagree with, since feminism has always been about advocacy for female people. That sometimes correlates with equality of opportunity, but that doesn't make it the same thing.

Soldato
Associate
Whilst I am very much Pro equality, it amuses me to see tales of realisation from female bigots who consider themselves to be Pro equality, too.

My lack of DIY skills is an embarrassment to lesbians everywhere
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ls-is-an-embarrassment-to-lesbians-everywhere

The anti Heterosexual male undertones in that article are shocking, verging on the point of misandry.

• Bringing gender and persuasion into it at all; there are lots of things that I can't do, and some that a friend can, or can at least advise on; I can just ask them without bringing gender, persuasion or race into it
  • The fact that she mentions "toppling the patriarchy" rings alarm bells about her own personal agenda
  • Commenting that it would be dangerous for her to be home alone with a man with sharp tools to hand, somehow implying that all 'strange men' are potential (or even probable) rapists or murderers is shocking.
All in all, a typical Guardian article...

Caporegime
I swear after living in Sweden for 5 years things like this Handyman BS are just so comical. THere are so many "Female"(look like a female dont know if they identify as) Carpenters, plumbers, builders, bin men, etc, etc.
I dont understand why this is still a thing in the UK. Still so backward... strange.

Soldato
I swear after living in Sweden for 5 years things like this Handyman BS are just so comical. THere are so many "Female"(look like a female dont know if they identify as) Carpenters, plumbers, builders, bin men, etc, etc.
I dont understand why this is still a thing in the UK. Still so backward... strange.

I'm pretty sure the article is written by an American resident.

Soldato
OP

Agreed. But I think much of society is past it. It's just our media has nothing better to do than endless ****-stirring and identity-politics bait headlines. At least those portions of it called The Guardian. I have three lesbian friends, I doubt any of them would ever say anything like this. Perhaps the American one.

Soldato
Typical guardian fail when it comes to citing stats....

A YouGov survey from a few years ago found that American lesbians are uber-confident about their DIY abilities. For example, 77% of lesbians said they could build flat-pack furniture, compared with 58% of heterosexual men and 48% of straight women. And 87% of gay women said they were good at unblocking drains, compared with 78% of straight men. Please get your mind out of the gutter: these are serious statistics.

This is as likely evidence that lesbians, on average over estimate or over state their competence to pollsters then evidence that they are actually any good, on average, at DIY.

Years of indoctrination "a women needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" etc can do that to you.. .

Still even the author seems to realise that people often don't tell the 100% truth to the pollsters based on her sample of two plus as many lesbian mates as she has sample.

Soldato
Typical guardian fail when it comes to citing stats....

It is mentally ill thinking. That a poll based on a persons sexuality affects how good they are at DIY.

Sexuality has nothing to do with DIY. If so, is the poll saying if the 48% of straight women start fancying other women that their DIY skills will improve? It's absolute tosh.

Caporegime
This is as likely evidence that lesbians, on average over estimate or over state their competence to pollsters then evidence that they are actually any good, on average, at DIY.

Lesbians overcompensating and trying to be butch, adopt masculine traits etc.. who'd have thought it???

Man of Honour

It isn't still a thing in the UK. It's a thing in feminist fantasy land and media clickbait land. In the real world, most people don't care. A person who's not much good at DIY is...a person who's not much good at DIY. It's only people who are obsessed with gender, group identity and simple stereotypes who interpret anything else into it. e.g. yesterday I asked a coworker for some advice about a DIY thing. I didn't consider their sex and sexual orientation because those things are irrelevant to almost everything, including DIY.

Working on the bins is different. That's unpleasant work with an increased risk of harm and no better paid than many other jobs, so few women do it. Instead, feminists just demanded (and got) equal pay for easier and safer work but only for women of course. But that's a different issue. What happened in practice was a pay cut for bin workers and compensation for women (and only women) working in some other jobs.

Soldato
OP
It isn't still a thing in the UK. It's a thing in feminist fantasy land and media clickbait land. In the real world, most people don't care. A person who's not much good at DIY is...a person who's not much good at DIY. It's only people who are obsessed with gender, group identity and simple stereotypes who interpret anything else into it. e.g. yesterday I asked a coworker for some advice about a DIY thing. I didn't consider their sex and sexual orientation because those things are irrelevant to almost everything, including DIY.

My attitude exactly. Outside of the online world, most people are a lot calmer and a lot less obsessed with such things. I don't know why online is such a terrible place.

Working on the bins is different. That's unpleasant work with an increased risk of harm and no better paid than many other jobs, so few women do it. Instead, feminists just demanded (and got) equal pay for easier and safer work but only for women of course. But that's a different issue. What happened in practice was a pay cut for bin workers and compensation for women (and only women) working in some other jobs.

I didn't hear anything about this. Are you referencing a specific incident with that pay cut for binmen / compensation for women?

Soldato
I didn't hear anything about this. Are you referencing a specific incident with that pay cut for binmen / compensation for women?

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/glasgow-strike-women-equal-pay-gmb-unsion-equality-picket-line-a8597526.html

The walkout – which involves more than 8,000 workers – started at 7am on Tuesday and follows years of legal disputes between unions and Glasgow City Council (GCC) over claims that staff in female-dominated roles, such as cleaning, were underpaid...

...Some women claim they made up to £3-an-hour less than those in male-dominated roles, such as bin collections.

Man of Honour
My attitude exactly. Outside of the online world, most people are a lot calmer and a lot less obsessed with such things. I don't know why online is such a terrible place.

I recently made the mistake of starting to read comments on Youtube videos. Some channels are fine, but many aren't. It's worse there than in many places online, although maybe that's only because the quality of the writing is worse as well. One of the channels I watch mainly covers changes in cultures over the years, with an emphasis on ones that no longer exist. Videos like "What happened to the Etruscans?", that sort of thing. The amount of semi-literate ranting racism in the comments is even worse than I thought it would be. All sorts - there's a racism for everybody! So that's sort of inclusive, in a sad and twisted kind of way. The fact that the videos make no mention of "race" and the person who makes the videos dismisses "race" as an inaccurate and at best useless concept doesn't seem to matter to the racists screaming in the comments.

My local city council, but as far as I know it applied everywhere in at least England and Wales because it was a formal legal ruling and that would be binding on all city councils.

Working on the bins used to get a higher rate of pay because of the unpleasant hours, unpleasant work, unpleasant working conditions and increased risks. A case was brought that this constituted sexism against women and was therefore illegal. The case was successful. So councils had to either reduce the pay of people working on the bins or increase the pay of people cleaning council offices. In addition, they had to pay compensation to women who had worked cleaning council offices within a certain number of years prior to the ruling. Only women, of course, as the whole point of this was the claim that it was sexist against women, specifically women. Obviously there were some men cleaning council offices and some women working on the bins and the rates of pay were set by the job, not by the sex of the people working it, but it's been a long time since that mattered. Equal pay hasn't had anything to do with equal pay for the same work for many a year. It's all about equal pay for unequal work nowadays and it doesn't matter that people are paid the same money for the same work whatever their sex.

Soldato
Anna Murray, a worker on the picket line at The Mitchell Library, said: “We have waited 10 years for equal pay and the council doesn’t seem to be doing anything to pay it so we’ve gone out on strike in support of getting our equal pay paid. I just feel that we’re very underpaid for the work that we do.”

So Anna waited `10 years' for 'equal pay' (with someone doing a different job)

I can guarantee you something Anna almost certainly didn't do in thoose ten years ..... Apply for one of thoose others jobs that had higher pay. ......

I wonder why that might be?

Could it possibly be that these differnt jobs, that some like to claim are comparable, aren't quite so?

Caporegime
It is like the supermarket with the discrepancy between pay for checkout workers and warehouse staff... strangely enough it was mostly women on the tills and mostly men in the warehouse doing the physical job. Not that some men weren't employed on the tills and some women weren't happy to do warehouse work.

Caporegime
Good grief. I'd sort of been aware of this but this October I was deep in a contract and only surfacing for news very sporadically. The full import of it never struck me. Amazing.

Well you might find this a fun read then :)

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...al-pay-claim-could-cost-supermarket-up-to-4bn

Tesco is facing a demand for up to £4bn in back pay from thousands of mainly female shopworkers in what could become the UK’s largest ever equal pay claim.

A law firm has launched legal action on behalf of nearly 100 shop assistants who say they earn as much as £3 an hour less than male warehouse workers in similar roles. Up to 200,000 shopfloor staff could be affected by the claim, which could cost Tesco up to £20,000 per worker in back pay over at least six years.

Tesco warehouse staff earn from about £8.50 an hour up to more than £11 an hour while store staff earn about £8 an hour in basic pay, according to the claim. The disparity could mean a full-time distribution worker earning over £5,000 a year more than store-based staff.

Not that there are any rules in place that say only men can do the physical work in the warehouse or only women can work on tills.

AFAIK the reason for the warehouse pay being "up to more than £11 an hour" is (AFAIK) because they're eligible for productivity related bonuses... these aren't guaranteed but relate to performance (AFAIK).

Back
Top Bottom