Fence painting

Associate
I have 12 fence panels that are in need of being painted, all feather edge fence panels. Has anyone used a fence sprayer before as painting with a brush is likely to take a long time.

Associate
In my experience yes, but to get the best results you end up doing both to some extent.

Use the spray to get the paint on the panels in volume and over large areas, then use a large 'masonry' brush to work it into the wood. Its a lot less effort than brush alone anyway!

Man of Honour
I tried using a paint sprayer and it worked for covering the panels in creocote a few years ago but not for paint, it was putting it on too thin and taking just as long to carefully move up and down each part of the fence as using a 4" brush, so ended up doing it with brush in the end (two coats).

Soldato
I got a £50 sprayer off Amazon last summer and did some panels with stain. Worked a treat. The reservoir it comes with is tiny though. So it only sprays for about 30-60 seconds before it's empty, gets really good coverage fast though.

a lot of overspray though, so you really need to cover the wall it connects to with some dust sheets and be careful there's nothing you don't want to spray above the panels, like your neighbours face.

Soldato
We used a sprayer last year and it saved so much time compared to using a brush. The trick is to set the nozzle to spray in a horizontal pattern, then spray the panel top to bottom from an angle rather than facing it square on. Then spray the panel again on a slight angle from the other side. This ensures that you don't have unsprayed areas by the vertical battens.

I still managed to miss a few bits here and there, but the Mrs followed up with a brush. Also, leave the top couple of inches to do by hand, because otherwise the overspray gets on everything.

Soldato
We used a sprayer last year and it saved so much time compared to using a brush. The trick is to set the nozzle to spray in a horizontal pattern, then spray the panel top to bottom from an angle rather than facing it square on. Then spray the panel again on a slight angle from the other side. This ensures that you don't have unsprayed areas by the vertical battens.

I still managed to miss a few bits here and there, but the Mrs followed up with a brush. Also, leave the top couple of inches to do by hand, because otherwise the overspray gets on everything.

So in other words use a brush.....

Associate
Last time we had a job like that we were able to easily slide the panels up and out and lie them on a tarp on the lawn to paint with a brush.
Was really quick and didn't have to worry with getting paint on anything else, it just trashed the tarp!

If you can't take the panels out, then can't help! :D

Associate
OP
Last time we had a job like that we were able to easily slide the panels up and out and lie them on a tarp on the lawn to paint with a brush.
Was really quick and didn't have to worry with getting paint on anything else, it just trashed the tarp!

If you can't take the panels out, then can't help! :D

Unfortuantely, I don't have the type of panels that can be taken out as they are the type that are nailed to the posts, feather edge I believe.

Back
Top Bottom