Ferries Stoped by WW2 bomb

Soldato
Bennah said:
:D Good point... :p

We have... City of Manchester Stadium, EastLands, Biggest Council House in Manchester or what ever instead :( Its such a shame...

don't forget that B of the Bang thing...always makes me laugh when I pass that thinking of the bits falling off :D - between that and the lambanana thing it's no wonder the southerners all think we're loonies!

Associate
DRZ said:
A man I used to know (who had unfortunately passed away now) was part of the detail that tracked where the Germans were bombing so they could go and hunt for the unexploded ones. He had a chart showing where these really huge bobs they dropped (to disrupt shipping) landed and didnt explode. They are supposedly sunk deep into the mud, one isnt *that* far from my house actually! :eek:

If these small ones are surfacing unexploded, there is a chance one of these HUGE ones will :D

Shame I am not home to go and see :(

This is a big one, 500kg it says on the bbc (it was 500lb but its been ammended) 2.1m tall.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
rogue66700 said:
This is a big one, 500kg it says on the bbc (it was 500lb but its been ammended) 2.1m tall.

If it has been edited to be 500Kgs not Lbs it will be :eek:

The accounts he told of when they went off were pretty hardcore! I live just a couple of hundred yards from the Mersey, he lived right on the shore! Must have been scary during the war!

Soldato
Yeah its scary to think that that much explosive has just been sitting there all this time. It must have been really scary during the war if thats what they dropped. I have some pics that I'll post in a bit.

Associate
Zip said:
If this 500kg bomb went off how much damage would it cause? :confused:

This much

piche1047w.jpg

The result of a 500Kg bomb on the junction of Burlington Street and Julian Road. The building on the corner used to be a drapers shop. The church is St Mary's Roman Catholic Church.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Well, there are reputedly 11 more under the mud!

A few went off in the late 40s - broken windows + structural damage was a common trait. They arent far off the size of shipping containers really.

Soldato
DRZ said:
A few went off in the late 40s - broken windows + structural damage was a common trait. They arent far off the size of shipping containers really.

Bit of an overstatement, the hun managed to fit two of them to an ME-262 and that only had a wingspan of 12m. :)

You are talking a hefty kitchen table size. :D

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
William said:
Bit of an overstatement, the hun managed to fit two of them to an ME-262 and that only had a wingspan of 12m. :)

You are talking a hefty kitchen table size. :D

Its a bomb - you have to exaggerate it as much as possible at every opportunity ;) :D

However, there really are a few more of these under the mud. If Trevor hadnt died Im sure I would be able to go and take a photo of that chart and post it up!

Back
Top Bottom