Ferry to France

Associate
Looking at using a ferry to get from Dover to Calais and back in October.

Is there much difference in the ferry companies and ferries?

It’s a short trip so I guess they are much alike?
Depends what your looking for, they are all pretty much utilitarian considering the run they are doing.

Last time we did it was with Irish Ferries - it was pretty tired and rough but tbh, your only on it for an hour, and if you take a packed lunch you don't need to worry about what is onboard. I wouldn't not use it again on that basis, just accept your not going to get luxury travel!

Don't think it was a far cry from DFDS.

Also...in terms of infrastructure/check in, there pretty much all using the same things so not much to be gained there either from experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Depends what your looking for, they are all pretty much utilitarian considering the run they are doing.

Last time we did it was with Irish Ferries - it was pretty tired and rough but tbh, your only on it for an hour, and if you take a packed lunch you don't need to worry about what is onboard. I wouldn't not use it again on that basis, just accept your not going to get luxury travel!

Don't think it was a far cry from DFDS.

Also...in terms of infrastructure/check in, there pretty much all using the same things so not much to be gained there either from experience.
That’s what I thought really. It’s all the same check in and boarding process.
Case of finding the best time that suits.

I’d use the tunnel but I will use it as a little break and let the 3 yo run around a bit.

Soldato
Yes they are all quite similar. The main differentiator is which ship you get from their fleet, the newer ones being nicer. It's such a short crossing I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Back
Top Bottom