Few Exercise Q's (Sorry!)

Suspended
Lost my job about September time due to uni work, it used to keep me in shape and I'm starting to slip, stamina isn't a problem but my strength is starting to fail on the rare occasions that I need it + the bits of me that used to feel hard, such as my stomach and arms are getting noticeablely fatty (to me anyway).

I'm already walking a good 4 miles a day, with a couple of 5-7 K jogs a week and I eat healthyish (for a low budget student).

I've just started this week doing push-ups and sit-ups everyday (for the first time ever), I started Saturday with 30 sit-ups and then 3x10 Push-ups. I have to embarrassingly admit that I really really struggled just to do that lot!! However I like pushing myself and have been feeling pretty good, from Wednesday I've done that routine when I get up and before I go to bed with the 30 push ups in 1 set rather than 3.

Are there any other simple exercises that I can incorporate? Or should I just up my reps? With regards to push-ups is there a set position for the width of hands to be apart to test different muscles? I find more of a strain on my shoulders with my hands further apart etc.

Thanks for your time.

Caporegime
If you're finding them hard, do inclined push-ups against a chair / wall / bench. The general rule is the further apart your hands, the more you target the pectorals - pulling them closer will use more arms.

Use the same chair and do some dips.

Reclining butt clenches (on your back, knees bent, lift your arse by squeezing).

One armed pushups against a wall, with your hand on a football, is good for stabilisers.

Finally - pullups - wide for your back, close for your arms - do them on railings (ie at an angle, with your feet still on the floor - keep your legs and body straight).

Never get embarrassed (unlesss your shorts fall down in public), and take it at your own pace, setting short-term, realistic goals.

Suspended
OP
Well its Sunday and I'm going to have a rest today, My abdomen, Arms, Calfs and the muscles across my shoulders and chest are aching, did a lot of exercise yesterday. I suppose it's important to rest them to give them a chance to rebuild, I can't believe the change in me since I started doing this, I don't know why I havent been doing this all my life! I feel like I'm a lot stronger already and I'm only on day 8!

Meh - time for my weekly treet - Bacon Sarney Time :)

Back
Top Bottom