FIA WEC 2017 Championship

Soldato

Championship
The 2017 FIA World Endurance Championship will be the sixth season of the FIA World Endurance Championship auto racing series co-organised by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) and the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO). The series will be open to Le Mans Prototypes and grand tourer-style racing cars divided into four categories. The season will begin at the Silverstone Circuit in April and end at the Bahrain International Circuit in November, and include the 85th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Schedule
6 Hours of Silverstone, United Kingdom 16th April
WEC 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium 6 May
24 Hours of Le Mans, France 17–18 June
6 Hours of Nürburgring, Germany 16 July
6 Hours of Mexico, Mexico 3 September
6 Hours of Circuit of the Americas, United States 16 September
6 Hours of Fuji, Japan 15 October
6 Hours of Shanghai, China 5 November
6 Hours of Bahrain, Bahrain 18 November

Championship
LMP1

LMP2

LMGTE Pro

LMGTE Am

Useful links

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be at Silverstone as usual. Looking forward to it, albeit with a smaller entry list. Will be my first live racing this year too. Wedding anniversary with the Mrs on Sunday so hopefully she enjoys it and it doesn't snow again!

Soldato
Should be early teens in temperature and dry, so not quite as warm as last year eventually turned out to be, but nice enough nonetheless. I'm there on both Saturday and Sunday, although currently debating whether it's worth it to turn up at 8:00 for the pit walk on Sunday given the huge gap in the timetable before the race starts. Support races better this year than last year, no dull-as-dishwater Porsches.

Soldato
OP
Should be early teens in temperature and dry, so not quite as warm as last year eventually turned out to be, but nice enough nonetheless. I'm there on both Saturday and Sunday, although currently debating whether it's worth it to turn up at 8:00 for the pit walk on Sunday given the huge gap in the timetable before the race starts. Support races better this year than last year, no dull-as-dishwater Porsches.

I wouldn't know about the support races, I just fall asleep... ask IamDJDZ :)

Man of Honour

I was there for the Saturday last year, there was a blizzard in the morning! But sure enough by the afternoon it was glorious.

Soldato
I don't think I've known the ByKolles to complete a race without an extended visit to the garage. I just hope that LMP1 privateer takes off next year. If Ginetta's estimates are to be believed, there should be 6-9 LMP1 privateer cars in addition to the 4-6 LMP1-H cars.

Toyota fastest in the first practice session - under 0.8s ahead of the #2 Porsche. Should be good :).

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Qually is now live! :D:cool:

Edit:

WOW :eek:

Toyota seems to be on another planet in terms of times today, as they set some very impressive times today.

Porsche seem off the pace in both LMP1 and LMGTE Pro classes, which is going to be interesting over the course of the season. However, we should get a better understanding of the true race pace tomorrow.

LMP2 looks a hugely competitive season this year, so it has all the marks of a good season. I'm looking forward to the race tomorrow.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What a great race! Sorry for not being around during it, but real life got in the way. It seemed that the GT battles were even closer than in previous years. As for LMP 2, I found it hard to identify the cars. I think particularly because of the similar colour schemes but also the fact they are all running the Oreca chassis this year. As for LMP1, it could be a close battle between Porsche and Toyota over a season. I also felt that not having a third team (Audi) did make the racing in LMP1 lack something.

Soldato
Fantastic WEC race, but I also struggled following the LMP2 race, particularly trackside as the leader lights didn't appear to be working.

Couldn't help but feel that Ford were sandbagging again when they pulled out a massive gap in Q1 and were easily fastest in GTE Pro, albeit with unreliable door catches.

Didn't see the Toyota accident until later as I was at Becketts at the time, but wow - bet Lopez won't forget that one for a while. Amazing they got it running again, bearing in mind this was the aftermath:

5WA3PCZl.jpg

7yZdMqYl.jpg

Oh, and that's before the wing fell off!

Soldato
Will watch a bit of Spa this weekend then it isn't long until Le Mans again

Overnight tuesday 13th for us and 3rd trip for me, looking forward to it now

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately I'll not be able to watch the race live as I'm at a stag so no updates from me over the weekend.

I'll update the entry list and championship standings later tonight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom