Fibre upgrade - Router and AP recommendations

RS6

RS6

Associate
Hi folks,

Will be upgrading from 80/20 Openreach connection to 900/900 CityFibre.

Currently have an ER-X with AC-lite and AC-LR access points, 1 at the front and 1 at rear of property. Around 50 devices and 3 vlans, including a handful of 2.4ghz only devices.

What would be the best upgrade path to maximise my new connection with around £300 budget?

Thanks

RS6

RS6

Associate
OP
Will the ER-X not do 900 Mbps? I don't know much about the non-UniFi devices.
I'm not sure, I'm due to go live next week so can't test just yet.

I'm hoping it can cope with it so I can just invest in upgrading the AP's instead.

I'm thinking a UAP 6 PRO would be the natural choice.

I've come across Grandstream AP's which seem to be good value with a 2.5G port but can't find much feedback on them other than their VOIP products.

Soldato
I dropped Ubiquiti setup last week for

3 x TP-Link Deco XE75 Pro AXE5400​

Works fine on Cityfibre 900/900 (Vodafone) I miss the simple advert blocking and more dynamic DNS provider choice. But they offer a free option and for ads I can install pihole.

Last edited:
Reactions: RS6

RS6

RS6

Associate
OP
I dropped Ubiquiti setup last week for

3 x TP-Link Deco XE75 Pro AXE5400​

Works fine on Cityfibre 900/900 (Vodafone) I miss the simple advert blocking and more dynamic DNS provider choice. But they offer a free option and for ads I can install pihole.

I have a Rpi running pihole currently for ads.

1 x 2.5G + 2 x 1G ports, WiFi 6E, 1.7ghz quad core broadcom cpu, for around £115 each on offer. Seems good value to me.

Are you using them as wired backhaul?

Any particular reason you dropped the Ubiquiti setup?

Man of Honour
I have a U6-Enterprise mounted on the ceiling upstairs, I get > 1 Gbps in most parts of the house and around 500 in the kitchen. It's more than enough for my requirements. I have a nanoHD downstairs which does 2.4/IoT only. For the garden I have a UAP-FlexHD mounted through my soffit.

Firewall/gateway/router is the UDM-SE. I've used both Openreach 900/100 FTTP and VM 1 Gb with it and no issues.

I personally love the setup. Combined with Protect/a single UI and the vast majority of homelab features I need it'd be a struggle to find a suitable replacement.

Soldato
I have a Rpi running pihole currently for ads.

1 x 2.5G + 2 x 1G ports, WiFi 6E, 1.7ghz quad core broadcom cpu, for around £115 each on offer. Seems good value to me.

Are you using them as wired backhaul?

Any particular reason you dropped the Ubiquiti setup?
So I was using a dream machine and wifi 5 AP, but I wanted to add another AP as the Tesla wasnt getting a good signal from the central upstairs ceiling AP or Dream machine.
I havn't been overly imporessed with the Dream Machine, it was always a little delicate and there isn't a wifi 6e alternative.

Figured I might as well go wifi 6e mesh and the TP-Link stuff seemed a good price. Using the wired backhaul via a 1Gb 24 port switch.

Soldato
So I was using a dream machine and wifi 5 AP, but I wanted to add another AP as the Tesla wasnt getting a good signal from the central upstairs ceiling AP or Dream machine.
I havn't been overly imporessed with the Dream Machine, it was always a little delicate and there isn't a wifi 6e alternative.

Figured I might as well go wifi 6e mesh and the TP-Link stuff seemed a good price. Using the wired backhaul via a 1Gb 24 port switch.
This isn't an uncommon story with former Ubiquiti users. The prices keep going up and functionality seems to be more and more mediocre relative to other offerings, particularly on the routing side which has always been under powered and taken an age to implement features that should have worked at launch.

I sat down at the start of last year with major building works planned, all my backhaul links would be ripped out and it was time to upgrade three floors of AP’s and potentially core/floor switches. Almost anything was on the table as it would be a rounding error in the overall bill and I started looking at upgrading the AP’s to 6e, but availability was limited, prices weren’t great and my builder ended up giving me less than 24hrs notice on starting work, so I grabbed a pair of x20’s. I didn't have high expectations, they were surprisingly not awful (builder's on the other hand :rolleyes:), and managed a pretty steady 800mbit+ via iperf wired clients, node to node between floors and better coverage than the AC-Lite’s. After that, I found it hard to justify spending Ubiquiti money for 6e AP’s, so grabbed an extra pair of x50’s and haven't looked back.

I can’t comment on the routing side of Deco, clearly it’s consumer orientated, but having spent some time playing with the Aginet side of TPLink (basically Deco for ISP’s), its certainly better than most ISP issued stuff. My only issue with Aginet is it wont cross manage Deco or Tapo stuff as the Deco app will.

Associate
Hi folks,

Will be upgrading from 80/20 Openreach connection to 900/900 CityFibre.

Currently have an ER-X with AC-lite and AC-LR access points, 1 at the front and 1 at rear of property. Around 50 devices and 3 vlans, including a handful of 2.4ghz only devices.

What would be the best upgrade path to maximise my new connection with around £300 budget?

Thanks
When I moved to 900/100 with my erx it would hit about 850-900 download as long as you have most extras like QoS turned off.

Soldato
This isn't an uncommon story with former Ubiquiti users. The prices keep going up and functionality seems to be more and more mediocre relative to other offerings, particularly on the routing side which has always been under powered and taken an age to implement features that should have worked at launch.

I sat down at the start of last year with major building works planned, all my backhaul links would be ripped out and it was time to upgrade three floors of AP’s and potentially core/floor switches. Almost anything was on the table as it would be a rounding error in the overall bill and I started looking at upgrading the AP’s to 6e, but availability was limited, prices weren’t great and my builder ended up giving me less than 24hrs notice on starting work, so I grabbed a pair of x20’s. I didn't have high expectations, they were surprisingly not awful (builder's on the other hand :rolleyes:), and managed a pretty steady 800mbit+ via iperf wired clients, node to node between floors and better coverage than the AC-Lite’s. After that, I found it hard to justify spending Ubiquiti money for 6e AP’s, so grabbed an extra pair of x50’s and haven't looked back.

I can’t comment on the routing side of Deco, clearly it’s consumer orientated, but having spent some time playing with the Aginet side of TPLink (basically Deco for ISP’s), its certainly better than most ISP issued stuff. My only issue with Aginet is it wont cross manage Deco or Tapo stuff as the Deco app will.
Yeah exactly, I did look at their products, but it didn't really add up.

Back
Top Bottom