Fiesta ST's... whats to know?

If a Fiesta ST makes 185bhp with a exhaust and filter ill eat my arm.

I meant to type 170-180 rather than 185...need cams to get over 180 really, as I said in the second part of that sentence. 180bhp with a full exhaust and induction kit and no other mods is at the top end of what you'll see on dynos with a custom map :)

And how much are you looking at for a manifold, full exhaust, filter and remap on a ST?

Dyno's can be funny and results can vary massively from one to another, to many factors effecting runs.

What would make more sense to me is buy a car with a better engine in.

The ST is a nice looking car, with good brakes, not bad interior etc it's just totally let down by it's engine.

Depending on your age, messing about modifying a car that much negates the fact your buying it to save on insurance, assuming your quite young.:D

I think a 185bhp Fiesta ST would be an awesome alternative to the Clio 1*2. Shame no one seems to be selling any. What do they normally go for?

I think this actually highlights a really good point - am I the only one who doesn't see the Fiesta ST as a credible alternative to a Clio 172/182 as standard.

In my mind as a standard car it's not a hot hatch, warm at best.

Let's not do this again :/

The Fiesta ST is a hot hatch, but is not as fast as a Clio. Take it to 185bhp and I reckon it would give a Clio a good run for its money in any way you wish to test :)

The Fiesta ST is a hot hatch, but is not as fast as a Clio. Take it to 185bhp and I reckon it would give a Clio a good run for its money in any way you wish to test :)

You can mod any car though, as standard the Fiesta really don't compare to any other hot hatch on the market?

As I said (and this is what I'd do if I was buying again)....buy one with the Mountune kit already, they are relatively rare but the mods don't add much more to the used value as opposed to adding the mods yourself.

That way its already at 185bhp ....I wouldn't buy a standard car over the alternatives now, but a Mountune'd one...worth a shout.

As for not a credible alternative to a 182, read this (posted earlier but since you missed it)...

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=gwhpg&preview=1&_x=1#/page2/

A standard one I can't defend too much as it is let down by the engine, theres no denying, but buy a good car with the Mountune 185/suspension package already on it and it will happily hold its own against any 1x2 Clio.

As for not a credible alternative to a 182, go back and read the Drivers Republic link I posted. A standard one I can't defend too much as it is let down by the engine, but buy a good car with the Mountune 185/suspension package already on it and it will happily hold its own against any 1x2 Clio.

But then equally slap a few grands worth of mods onto a Clio and surely it'll be ahead of the Fiesta again?

Comparing standard with standard I don't personally see the Fiesta as a credible hot hatch.

But then equally slap a few grands worth of mods onto a Clio and surely it'll be ahead of the Fiesta again?

Comparing standard with standard I don't personally see the Fiesta as a credible hot hatch.

I agree with you, standard for standard, from the factory :)

But we're talking used cars with a manufacturer approved upgrade...I am advocating buying a car already fitted with the Mountune package, slapping money down on mods doesn't come into it because the owner before you splashed out.

The Mountune package costs ~£1700 for the 185 kit, but doesnt add anywhere near that to used value...so buy one of those cars where the guy who bought it ticked the Mountune box when he ordered it from new (in exactly the same way that a guy buying a 182 could specify the Cup pack!), and you have a worthy competitor to the 182.

Last edited:

More like a warm hatch.:D

If your gonna spend that extra on a ST, why not buy a Clio or CTR for example in the first place?

It's not just about peak power anyway, how it delivers that power is important, ST engine is poo, hated the drive in my mates. Ive always said they look nice though.

Because you're too hung up on straight line speed. Which is rather ironic, I'd say.

When you've owned a fast car, and regularly thrashed it on some tidy B-Roads, you'll understand low little power really matters, in fact it can even ruin the experience in some cases - which is why I regularly took the map off my ST, owing to it simply being more fun in the twisties having to work the car harder and not being too concerned quite so much about going "too fast".

That said, no one is claiming it is a credible alternative to the Clio in standard form - but in 185bhp guise, I think I'd put my money on the Fiesta.

I'm even putting my money where my mouth is, if you need any proof of this - I could easily buy something faster than my ST and wash away all the reminiscent memories of how quick it was - but I am not going to do this, instead I'm buying something that handles :) A good chassis and driving dynamics never gets old, but power is a novelty that wears very fast.

Last edited:
I agree with you, standard for standard, from the factory :)

But we're talking used cars with a manufacturer approved upgrade...I am advocating buying a car already fitted with the Mountune package, slapping money down on mods doesn't come into it because the owner before you splashed out.

The Mountune package costs ~£1700 for the 185 kit, but doesnt add anywhere near that to used value...so buy one of those cars where the guy who bought it ticked the Mountune box when he ordered it from new (in exactly the same way that a guy buying a 182 could specify the Cup pack!), and you have a worthy competitor to the 182.

Makes sense :)

Because you're too hung up on straight line speed. Which is rather ironic, I'd say.

When you've owned a fast car, and regularly thrashed it on some tidy B-Roads, you'll understand low little power really matters, in fact it can even ruin the experience in some cases - which is why I regularly took the map off my ST, owing to it simply being more fun in the twisties having to work the car harder and not being too concerned quite so much about going "too fast".

Isn't it universally excepted the Clio is the best hot hatch round the B roads anyway - specifically in terms of handling and it's power delivery.

I drove a Fiesta ST, back to back with a few other cars and it felt the weakest of the bunch.

Really, when i mentioned a clio and CTR? You sure?

I ignored your next statement as complete ********.

Chill Winston. I was talking to Peerzy - your post got in the way.

Isn't it universally excepted the Clio is the best hot hatch round the B roads anyway - specifically in terms of handling and it's power delivery.

I drove a Fiesta ST, back to back with a few other cars and it felt the weakest of the bunch.

The best? I'm not sure about that. It is highly regarded by auto journalists and the like, but this is because it has the power to go with the chassis. Just look at the DR review where they suggest that only the 197 comes close to the Mountune ST.

Your still wrong as it doesn't handle as well as other hot hatches mentioned.

So how much does it cost to get a ST up to decent power? and thats not touching the suspension/handling/brakes?

Mike your not going to buy anything, admit it.

I bought one for my mrs about 6 months ago. Got a 55 plate at a good price with low miles and completely standard.

Its been very reliable until one of the front springs snapped last week, but thats spurred me on to get the Eibach lowering kit. Just dont tell the wife as it "comes from the Ford dealer":D

Driving wise its pretty good around the town and main roads but like others have said its badly let down by the lack of 6th gear for motorway driving.

At the end of the day the wife loves the look of the car and its cheaper to run than the Audi for the daily stuff she does. I enjoy driving it around, it makes me feel 15 years younger. However, I think there are better alternatives unless you go down the modding route.

That said, no one is claiming it is a credible alternative to the Clio in standard form - but in 185bhp guise, I think I'd put my money on the Fiesta.

But we're still comparing a modified car to a standard one. And not even a cheap modified car either, STs are considerably more expensive than 182s and yet aren't really comparable unless they've had £1,700 worth of tuning gear on them.

But we're still comparing a modified car to a standard one. And not even a cheap modified car either, STs are considerably more expensive than 182s and yet aren't really comparable unless they've had £1,700 worth of tuning gear on them.

Exactly.

Just buy a Nova turbo mike and mod that for crazy powaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Back
Top Bottom